Is this Wavelength answer correct?

• Thread starter onrytxn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the wavelength of a 1.5 MHz sound wave traveling through soft tissue can be calculated using the formula wavelength = velocity (1540 m/s) divided by 1.5 MHz. This can be converted to 10.27 x 10^-4m or 1.027 mm, which is longer than the typical wavelength for ultrasound. It is important to be careful with decimal conversions in order to ensure accuracy.
onrytxn
The question is: Calculate the wavelength of a 1.5 MHz sound wave that is being transmitted through soft tissue. (This is Ultrasound physics, if you are wondering.)
formula used: wavelength = velocity (1540 m/s) divided by 1.5 MHz

MHz changes to 1.5 x 10^6

so I have: 1540m/s / 1.5 x 10^6 1/s=10.27 x 10^-4m or 10.27mm

Is this correct? I'm worried about my conversion---I tend to mess up the most simple conversions.

Thx!

Kathy

Physics news on Phys.org
10.27 x 10-4m is correct, however it is not 10.27 mm (which is ~0.4 inch).

Ultrasound has short wavelengths, usually < 1 mm.

So 1 mm is 10-3 m.

10.27 x 10-4m = 1.027 x 10-3m = 1.027 mm, which is long for UT.

Thank you! Those darned old decimals get me every time!

1. Is the wavelength answer correct?

As a scientist, it is important to verify the correctness of any answer. The correctness of a wavelength answer depends on several factors such as the method used to calculate it, the units used, and the accuracy of the data. It is crucial to double-check all the steps involved in finding the wavelength to ensure its accuracy.

2. How can I determine if my wavelength answer is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of a wavelength answer, you can compare it to a known value or use a measurement device such as a spectrophotometer. Additionally, you can perform multiple calculations using different methods to cross-check the results and ensure consistency.

3. Can the wavelength answer be negative?

No, the wavelength cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity that represents the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. If you encounter a negative wavelength value, it is likely that an error was made in the calculation or data entry.

4. What is the unit of measurement for wavelength?

The unit of measurement for wavelength depends on the type of wave being measured. In the electromagnetic spectrum, wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm). In the context of sound waves, wavelength is measured in meters (m) or Hertz (Hz).

5. Does the speed of the wave affect the wavelength?

Yes, the speed of the wave does affect the wavelength. According to the wave equation, wavelength is inversely proportional to the speed of the wave. This means that as the speed of the wave increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.