Electron Configuration After Photoelectric Effect

In summary: Sorry for the long wait, I was busy with prepping up for some placement test. Yes, I am talking about core-level photoemission. I did some research on the terms you've used and forgive me for the lack of knowledge I have in solid-state physics, but I don't think there is much of a conflict between the collective effect vs. what happens at the atomic level. Can you tell me why these two aren't compatible?I just did. Atoms have no "band". Metals (and band solids) do! Atoms have no "Fermi energy", metals do! If you do a standard photoionization experiment on atoms, do you think you'll get something that
The_ArtofScience
I'm not very well versed in the photoelectric effect, but as it happens, I found a brief description of it in my chem book. I'm really curious to know what really occurs to an atom's configuration right after its exposed to light. Let's say a photon hits a Zinc atom at threshold level and its expected for 2 electrons to be ejected. If it ejects one electron from 4s and one from 3d, what really happens to the atom? How does its behavior change?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the surface of the metal (zinc) modifies a bit...The effect is used mainly for surface analysis...photoelectron spectroscopy...
i hope member of this forum would give a more detailed explanation...

Also it leads to auger electrons...and subsequent filling of electrons...a very fast process

This question is a bit vague, because it is asking about the "photoelectric effect" that normally is done on SOLIDS, ie. metallic surfaces. Yet, it is asking as if it is a "photoionization" problem since it is on "atoms".

Again, in solids, atoms tend to lose their "individuality" and forms properties that are more collective in behavior that aren't found when they are separated. So the photoelectric effect that we are familiar with is a collective effect as the result of electron emission from the conduction band of the solid (individual atoms have no "bands").

Or maybe this person is asking about core-level photoemission? Hard to tell.

So until this issue is cleared up, there's no way to answer this question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This question is a bit vague, because it is asking about the "photoelectric effect" that normally is done on SOLIDS, ie. metallic surfaces. Yet, it is asking as if it is a "photoionization" problem since it is on "atoms".

Again, in solids, atoms tend to lose their "individuality" and forms properties that are more collective in behavior that aren't found when they are separated. So the photoelectric effect that we are familiar with is a collective effect as the result of electron emission from the conduction band of the solid (individual atoms have no "bands").

Or maybe this person is asking about core-level photoemission? Hard to tell.

So until this issue is cleared up, there's no way to answer this question.

Zz.

Sorry for the long wait, I was busy with prepping up for some placement test. Yes, I am talking about core-level photoemission. I did some research on the terms you've used and forgive me for the lack of knowledge I have in solid-state physics, but I don't think there is much of a conflict between the collective effect vs. what happens at the atomic level. Can you tell me why these two aren't compatible?

The_ArtofScience said:
Sorry for the long wait, I was busy with prepping up for some placement test. Yes, I am talking about core-level photoemission. I did some research on the terms you've used and forgive me for the lack of knowledge I have in solid-state physics, but I don't think there is much of a conflict between the collective effect vs. what happens at the atomic level. Can you tell me why these two aren't compatible?

I just did. Atoms have no "band". Metals (and band solids) do! Atoms have no "Fermi energy", metals do! If you do a standard photoionization experiment on atoms, do you think you'll get something that looks like my avatar on the left that shows a continuous dispersion curve?

Zz.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms.

2. How does the photoelectric effect affect electron configuration?

The photoelectric effect can cause changes in the electron configuration of an atom by removing electrons from the outermost energy levels. This can result in a change in the overall electron arrangement and can also lead to the formation of ions.

3. What factors influence the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is influenced by the frequency and intensity of the light, as well as the material of the surface being exposed to the light. Higher frequencies of light and more intense light can result in a greater number of electrons being emitted.

4. How does the photoelectric effect support the quantum theory of light?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as proposed by the quantum theory. This is because the energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the light, rather than its intensity, which is consistent with the idea of light being composed of discrete packets of energy called photons.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be used in practical applications?

Yes, the photoelectric effect has numerous practical applications, such as in photovoltaic cells used in solar panels, photoelectric sensors, and photomultiplier tubes. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of electrons in atoms.