Ellipsoid Creation and Rotation

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore at Winthrop University and is majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics. They have a passion for calculus and have decided to combine their majors to create a video game engine for first-person shooters. They are seeking advice on how to create hitboxes using ellipsoids instead of rectangular prisms. The issue is rotating the body and the speaker is considering using a spherical coordinate system to parameterize the angles. They are feeling frustrated and are considering scrapping the project.
Lazyshot
A little background first is that I'm currently a rising Sophomore at Winthrop University in South Carolina. I am a Computer Science and Mathematics Double Major. After finishing half-way through third semester calculus and dealing with 3-Dimensional space, vectors, planes, and surfaces, I really loved it. I decided to mold my two majors and create a video game engine, primarily First Person Shooter. Anyway, back to my question:

In order to detect bullet and model collision, I am going to create Hitboxes like counter-strike. But instead of rectangular prisms I was going to use Ellipsoids for a smoother body. Anyway, But in order for this to work properly I would have to create a torso, head, arms, and legs. Understandable. Now, I have no problem creating the initial ellipsoids, because the origins are all fixed relative to the torso's origin. The problem is about when I want to rotate the body.

Other information is that I have a unit vector representing the facing direction of the body.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm getting so frustrated that I feel like scrapping the whole thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you express the ellipsoids in a spherical rather than cartesian co-ordinate system, and then parameterize the angles, so you have a parameterized function [tex]\psi(\theta,\varphi)=(2r\cos{\varphi}\cos{\theta}, 3r\cos{\varphi}\sin{\theta},\sin{\varphi})[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, for some reason, that maths didn't come out as I'd expected, maybe you can quote my post to see what I meant.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is defined as a surface obtained by rotating an ellipse about one of its axes.

2. How is an ellipsoid created?

An ellipsoid can be created using a mathematical equation that describes the shape of the surface. This equation takes into account the length, width, and height of the ellipsoid, as well as its orientation in space.

3. What is the importance of ellipsoid creation?

Ellipsoids are commonly used in various scientific fields, such as geodesy, geophysics, and astronomy, to model the shape of the Earth or other celestial bodies. They also have practical applications in engineering and cartography.

4. How does an ellipsoid rotate?

An ellipsoid can rotate around any of its three axes, depending on its orientation in space. The rotation can be described using Euler angles or quaternions, which are mathematical methods for representing 3D rotations.

5. What factors affect the rotation of an ellipsoid?

The rotation of an ellipsoid can be affected by its shape, size, and orientation, as well as external forces such as gravity and friction. The distribution of mass within the ellipsoid can also play a role in its rotation.