Rotating an ellipse to create a spheroid?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for a spheroid that does not have its axis or revolution along the x,y, or z axis. The equation for such a spheroid is derived by adding a z^2/B^2 term to the equation for a rotated ellipse. The conversation also mentions a potential mistake in the attached image of the spheroid.
gary0000
Homework Statement
This problem began with solving for an 2D ellipse whose axis aligned with the y-axis and the line x=-z. Then the ellipse needs to be translated, rotated, and then revolved to form a spheroid. I've already found the rotated and translated ellipse.

Rotate the following ellipse about its major axis to obtain a prolate spheroid:

(195.010)^2*((x-72.850)*cos(1.423)+(y-490.030)*sin(1.423))^2+(532.419)^2*((x-72.850)*sin(1.423)-(y-490.030)*cos(1.423))^2-(532.419)^2*(195.010)^2=0

[Each x-value corresponds to a negative z-value of equal magnitude as well, since this ellipse is in the plane formed by line x=-z and the y-axis, not the xy plane.]
Relevant Equations
General equation of an ellipse: x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2=1

(in my case b>a)

Equation of an ellipse with a rotated axis and translated center:

((x−h)cos(A)+(y−k)sin(A))^2/(a^2)+((x−h)sin(A)−(y−k)cos(A))^2/(b^2)=1

General equation of a prolate spheroid: (x^2+y^2)/a^2+z^2/c^2=1, where c > a
I was able to find the equation of an ellipse where its major axis is shifted and rotated off of the x,y, or z axis. However, I could not find anywhere an equation for a spheroid that does not have its axis or revolution along the x,y, or z axis. How might I go about deriving such an equation?For this spheroid specifically I have found that:
-It's axis of revolution passes through the origin
-Its center its located at the point (72.846,490.034,-72.846)
-It's radius is 195.010 units long
-Its semi-major axis is 532.419 units long

(I attached an image of a plot of the ellipse that needs to be revolved with its axis of revolution represented by a yellow line)

Attachments

• ellipse(1).PNG
    ellipse(1).PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say your ellipse has axes of length ##A## and ##B##, and center ##(h,k)##, and is rotated by angle ##\theta##. This is represented by the equation $$\frac{((x-h)\cos(\theta)+(y-k)\sin(\theta))^2}{A^2}+ \frac{((x-h)\sin(\theta)-(y-k)\cos(\theta))^2}{B^2} =1.$$ If ##A>B## then I suspect the equation you're looking for is
$$\frac{((x-h)\cos(\theta)+(y-k)\sin(\theta))^2}{A^2}+ \frac{((x-h)\sin(\theta)-(y-k)\cos(\theta))^2}{B^2} + \frac{z^2}{B^2}=1,$$
simply tacking on a ##z^2/B^2## term. The denominator is ##B^2## because, since we're revolving around the semi-major axis, the new axis must have the same length as the semi-minor axis. There's none of the extra stuff in the numerator either because those only deal with translations and rotations in the ##xy##-plane. Using a 3D-grapher, it'll look something like this:
rotated translated spheroid.png

(I used ##h=1, k=2, \theta=\pi/6, A=2, B=1##).

Attachments

• rotated translated spheroid.png
    rotated translated spheroid.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 342
gary0000 said:
(I attached an image of a plot of the ellipse that needs to be revolved with its axis of revolution represented by a yellow line)
1564686455761.png
I haven't checked your numbers, but unless I misunderstand, your picture can't be correct. A prolate spheroid must be an ellipse rotated about its major axis. Your yellow line apparently doesn't align with the major axis.

1. How is an ellipse rotated to create a spheroid?

An ellipse can be rotated by changing the orientation of its major and minor axes. This can be done by applying a rotation matrix to the coordinates of the ellipse's points.

2. What is the purpose of rotating an ellipse to create a spheroid?

Rotating an ellipse to create a spheroid allows for a more accurate representation of the Earth's shape. The Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather an oblate spheroid with a slightly flattened shape at the poles. Rotating an ellipse can account for this flattening and provide a better model of the Earth's surface.

3. How does rotating an ellipse affect its dimensions?

Rotating an ellipse changes the dimensions of its major and minor axes. The minor axis becomes longer and the major axis becomes shorter, resulting in a more flattened shape.

4. Can any ellipse be rotated to create a spheroid?

Yes, any ellipse can be rotated to create a spheroid. However, the resulting spheroid may not accurately represent the Earth's shape if the ellipse is not based on the correct parameters.

5. Are there any other methods besides rotation to create a spheroid?

Yes, there are other methods such as scaling or warping an ellipse to create a spheroid. However, rotation is the most commonly used method as it is the simplest and most accurate way to create a spheroid.