Photon-photon collision confusion

In summary, the wiki article supporting what I had said was wrong, and points to some papers referring to current experiments with photon-photon collisions. Apparently, photons can collide with each other, but I simply cannot understand how that corresponds with what I have been taught, regarding the photon probability function and no precise location of a photon. For photons to collide, they must have some precise location, but to have a location, the probability function must be collapsed, which seems in conflict with the basic premise of QED. But the QED photon non linearity is very very weak so most likely photons will not "see" each other while "collision".
jnorman
okay, i have to ask a stupid question. a short while ago, there was a thread discussing photon - photon collisions. being an amateur, i had always understood that two photons could not collide, and i stuck in a comment to that effect, indicating that since photons, once they are emitted, only exist as a probability function, and have no exact location until they are absorbed.

i was corrected, and told that the wiki article supporting what i had said was wrong, and pointed at some papers referring to current experiments with photon-photon collisions.

so, apparently, photons can collide with each other, but i simply cannot understand how that corresponds with what i have been taught, regarding the photon probability function and no precise location of a photon. for photons to collide, they must have some precise location, but to have a location, the probability function must be collapsed, which seems in conflict with the basic premise of QED.

can someone please try to provide some explanation of this for me? what am i misunderstanding? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to stop thinking of collisions in the quantum world as two tiny balls colliding as in pool or snooker...

You have wave-packages, which is enough to build up a scattering formalism (you can do it with plane waves too if you want)

If you don't think electron-electron scattering is strange, or electron-photon scattering; then you should not think photon-photon scattering be strange...

jnorman said:
so, apparently, photons can collide with each other, but i simply cannot understand how that corresponds with what i have been taught, regarding the photon probability function and no precise location of a photon. for photons to collide, they must have some precise location, but to have a location, the probability function must be collapsed, which seems in conflict with the basic premise of QED.

can someone please try to provide some explanation of this for me? what am i misunderstanding? thanks.

Not having a precise location is a synonym to a wave. Two waves on water surface, created with different sources, propagate differently (scatter) after collision if the wave equation is non linear. It is the case of QED. But the QED photon non linearity is very very weak so most likely photons will not "see" each other while "collision".

Bob.

Looking at the QED Lagrangian we can see that photons don't interact at tree level, but they can interact at some order at loop level through virtual electrons. So the possibility for two photons two scatter is there. So they should be able to interact, right?

Yes, exactly.

And a Google search on "Delbrück scattering" should lead you to some information...

What is a photon-photon collision?

A photon-photon collision is an event where two photons (particles of light) interact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and potentially creating new particles.

How is photon-photon collision different from other types of collisions?

Photon-photon collisions are unique because photons are massless particles and do not experience the same kind of interactions as particles with mass. This means that they can pass through each other without directly colliding, and their interactions are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics rather than classical mechanics.

What types of particles can be created from photon-photon collisions?

Photon-photon collisions can produce a variety of particles, including electron-positron pairs, muon-antimuon pairs, and quark-antiquark pairs. The specific particles created depend on the energy of the photons involved in the collision.

Why is it difficult to study photon-photon collisions?

Photon-photon collisions are difficult to study because photons do not have an electric charge, so they do not interact strongly with most detectors. This means that scientists must use high-energy experiments, such as colliders, to produce photon-photon collisions and study their effects.

What are the potential applications of studying photon-photon collisions?

Studying photon-photon collisions can help us better understand the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. It can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies for communication and energy production.