Could you give an example in Latex?

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for an example in LaTeX of a product with indices n=1 to N for bN, all minus 1, finally equal to bZ. The conversation also mentions difficulties in finding original LaTeX tutorials and provides a possible solution.
Loren Booda
I would like an example in Latex of a product with indices n=1 to N for bN, all minus 1, finally equal to bZ. I have not been able to find the original Latex tutorials.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
I would like an example in Latex of a product with indices n=1 to N for bN, all minus 1, finally equal to bZ. I have not been able to find the original Latex tutorials.

Have a look at [thread=8997]Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting[/thread].

In the meantime, do you mean
[tex] b_Z = \prod_{n=1}^N (b_n - 1)[/tex]

I doubt it's what you want, but it is hard to parse the English description.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas,

You did well to decipher my description, excepting that the "-1" would appear outside of the product. Thank you for cheering me up.

1. What is Latex?

Latex is a document preparation system used for creating scientific and technical documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting language and is particularly popular in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and physics.

2. How do I give an example in Latex?

To give an example in Latex, you would use the "\begin{example}" and "\end{example}" commands. Within these commands, you can write out your example using Latex syntax, such as equations or text formatting.

3. Can you give a simple example in Latex?

Sure, here is a simple example using the "\begin{example}" and "\end{example}" commands:

\begin{example}
This is a simple example in Latex.
Here is an equation: $a^2 + b^2 = c^2$
And some text formatting: \textbf{Bold text}
\end{example}

4. Is there a website or resource where I can learn more about Latex examples?

Yes, there are many websites and resources available to learn more about Latex examples. Some popular ones include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and the official Latex documentation. These resources offer tutorials, templates, and forums for further learning.

5. Can I use Latex for non-scientific documents?

While Latex is primarily used for scientific and technical documents, it can also be used for other types of documents such as resumes, letters, and presentations. However, it may require more effort to format these types of documents compared to using a word processor.