French teacher in physics and chemistry would appreciate help from colleagues

In summary, the conversation is about an individual's experience teaching physics and chemistry to French students in English and their attempt to make their courses available online. The individual is seeking help with correcting any mistakes and formatting the course for different computer programs. They also receive compliments on their English language abilities and are encouraged to continue with their unique style of language.
lesieux
I teach physics and chemistry in English to French students and I've tried to put my courses on line.
http://vfsilesieux.free.fr/ProgressionTSeuro.swf"

There are undoubtedly many mistakes as I'm not a native speaker.

It would be very nice if some colleague could help me to correct them.

Thank you very much in advance.

Vincent Lesieux

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I can't seem to open the pages on your website (at work at the moment), I'll give it a try at home, if I have the time.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Great that you wrote your class in OpenOffice. Problem is that from most of our work computers, we are stuck with MS Office. Could you make a pdf copy. I would be happy to help you with this.

Sorry that you have problem to read it.
It is flashpaper so you just need an updated flashplayer

Sorry, i realized it couldn't be read with internet explorer (but it was with mozilla) so i made the changes in the code and checked so now it should be ok.

Just looking at a few pages, your English seems more than adequate. Your "Franglais" has a certain savoir faire. For instance:

"Sorry that you have problem to read it"

is perfecty understandable. A native (UK!) speaker would say (in Queen's English):

"Sorry that you have a problem reading it [old chap]."

... but your version is perfectly fine. More understandable than some native speakers. People round my way might say:

"' 'ard recknin' be it? Nay lad..."

1. How can I help my French colleague with their physics and chemistry teaching?

There are a few ways you can help your French colleague improve their teaching of physics and chemistry:

• Offer to collaborate on lesson planning and share resources or ideas.
  • Provide feedback on their teaching style and strategies.
  • Share your knowledge and expertise in physics and chemistry.
  • Offer support and guidance in navigating the curriculum and standards.
  • Suggest attending professional development workshops or conferences together.

2. What are some common challenges faced by French teachers of physics and chemistry?

Some common challenges faced by French teachers of physics and chemistry include language barriers, differences in curriculum and standards, and lack of resources and support. Additionally, teaching these subjects in a foreign language may be intimidating and require additional preparation and adaptation of materials.

3. How can I effectively communicate with my French colleague who teaches physics and chemistry?

To effectively communicate with your French colleague who teaches physics and chemistry, it is important to be patient and understanding of any language barriers. Use clear and simple language, avoid slang or idiomatic expressions, and be open to clarifying or rephrasing when needed. It may also be helpful to use visual aids or diagrams to aid in understanding.

4. Are there any cultural considerations to keep in mind when working with a French teacher of physics and chemistry?

Yes, it is important to be aware of cultural differences and to be respectful of them. For example, in some cultures, it may be considered rude to interrupt or question someone in authority, so it is important to approach discussions and collaborations with sensitivity. It may also be helpful to learn about the French education system and its values and expectations.

5. How can I show my appreciation and support for my French colleague's teaching efforts?

Showing appreciation and support for your French colleague's teaching efforts can go a long way in building a positive and collaborative relationship. Some ways to do this include:

• Thanking them for their hard work and dedication.
  • Offering to assist with tasks or provide resources.
  • Giving positive feedback and acknowledging their strengths as a teacher.
  • Inviting them to observe your classes and provide feedback.
  • Celebrating successes and milestones together.