Conceptual Understanding - simple

In summary, the conversation is about a past examination question on vector addition. The examiner's report mentions that many students made a mistake by stating the sum of the vectors was equal to (i-2j) instead of a multiple of it. The person asking for explanation is interested in the concept behind this mistake, which involves equating the multiple of (i-2j) due to a proportionality constant, as shown in the given equations.
elemis
I would like to formally state that this is NOT a Homework question. I am NOT trying to cheat to get good marks. Instead the attached pdf file is a past examination question paper.

Just take my word for it and I can do without the aggro of mods jumping on back.

I would be EXTREMELY grateful if you could actually EXPLAIN the concept behind Question 6 B of the attached file.

The Examiner's Report that accompanies the question paper says this :

the first mark was for adding the two vectors together but many students then stated that this sum was equal to (i – 2j) rather than a multiple of it and were unable to make any progress.

I am more interested in the THEORY behind the part in bold. What is the concept ? Why do we equate the multiple of (i-2j) ?

Attachments

• M1 2009-01.pdf
    333.6 KB · Views: 242
Physics news on Phys.org
Let c be the proportionality constant (between the parallel vectors).
4+p=c
-5+q=-2c
The left hand sides are the result of adding the given vectors. The right hand sides are for the given parallel.
Eliminate c from the two equations gives the stated result.

I see... Thank you very much.

FAQ: Conceptual Understanding - simple

1. What is conceptual understanding?

Conceptual understanding refers to the ability to comprehend and apply abstract concepts and principles, rather than just memorizing facts or procedures. It involves connecting new information to prior knowledge and being able to explain and apply concepts in various contexts.

2. Why is conceptual understanding important in science?

Conceptual understanding is important in science because it allows scientists to understand the underlying principles and relationships between different phenomena and make connections across different fields of study. It also helps scientists to think critically and creatively, and to solve complex problems.

3. How can one develop conceptual understanding in science?

Developing conceptual understanding in science requires active engagement in learning, such as asking questions, making connections, and engaging in hands-on activities. It also involves using various learning strategies, such as visual aids, analogies, and real-world examples, to help make abstract concepts more concrete and relatable.

4. What are some challenges in developing conceptual understanding?

Some challenges in developing conceptual understanding include preconceived notions and misconceptions, which can be difficult to change, as well as the complexity of certain concepts and the need for multiple and varied approaches to learning. Additionally, some learners may struggle with abstract thinking or may have different learning styles that require different teaching methods.

5. How can teachers assess students' conceptual understanding in science?

Teachers can assess students' conceptual understanding in science through various methods, such as open-ended questions, concept maps, and performance-based tasks. These assessments should focus on students' ability to apply and explain concepts, rather than just recall information. Teachers can also use formative assessments throughout the learning process to monitor students' understanding and provide feedback.