Mass of a sphere where density varies

In summary, we are considering a sphere with a radius r and a density f(d) at any given point, where d is the distance from the origin. The function for the mass of the sphere can be expressed as 4π∫f(r)r2dr, using constants such as Pi. The proof for this can be derived by considering the sphere as composed of infinite spherical shells with infinitesimal thickness dx. The mass of the sphere can then be calculated as the integral from r to 0 of 4π(x2)f(x)dx. However, there may be a slight discrepancy between the given function and the one suggested in the book, which should be further simplified to (x2)f(x)dx / ((R3
johnaaronrose
Consider a sphere of radius r where its density at any point is f(d) with d being the distance of the point from the origin and f(d) being an algebraic function and thus integrable. What is the function (ideally expressed as one integral & using constants such as Pi) for the mass of the sphere? PS please also supply the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
4π∫f(r)r2dr

Proof is obvious. I'll leave it to you.

Is below valid proof?
Consider sphere made up of infinite number of spherical shells. Assume that a spherical shell is at distance x from centre with infinitesimal thickness dx..
Volume of spherical shell = Its surface area * thickness = 4Pi(x^2)dx
Mass of spherical shell = mass of spherical shell * density of spherical shell
= 4Pi(x^2)dx * f(x) = 4Pi(x^2)f(x)dx
Mass of sphere = Integral from r to 0 of 4Pi(x^2)f(x)dx

Last edited:
My answer IMO is the same as yours, mathman.
Reason I asked this is that Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw's book titled 'The quantum universe: everything that can happen does happen, they state (on page 235) that where g(a) represents the fraction of a star's mass lying in a sphere of radius a is:
4Pi(R^3)p * Integral from a to 0 of (x^2)f(x)dx
where R is the radius of the star & p is the average density of the star.
I think it should be:
Integral from a to 0 of 4Pi(x^2)f(x)dx / (4Pi(R^3)/3)p)
= Integral from a to 0 of (x^2)f(x)dx / ((R^3)/3)p)

PS apologies for the use of Pi, ^, brackets & the Integral ( as I don't know how to create the appropriate symbols).

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a sphere with varying density?

The formula for calculating the mass of a sphere with varying density is M = (4/3)πr^3ρ, where M is the mass, π is pi, r is the radius of the sphere, and ρ is the density at a given point.

2. How does the density of a sphere affect its mass?

The density of a sphere directly affects its mass. A sphere with a higher density will have a greater mass than a sphere with a lower density, even if they have the same size and volume.

3. Can the mass of a sphere change if its density changes?

Yes, the mass of a sphere can change if its density changes. As the density increases, the mass will also increase, and vice versa.

4. How do you find the density of a sphere with varying density?

The density of a sphere with varying density can be found by dividing its mass by its volume. This will give you the average density of the sphere.

5. What is the unit of measurement for mass of a sphere with varying density?

The unit of measurement for mass of a sphere with varying density is typically kilograms (kg) or grams (g). However, other units such as pounds (lbs) can also be used depending on the specific situation.