Understanding dθ = ds/r: Exploring Accuracy for Large Values of Δθ and r

• Thread starter FieldvForce
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of the formula Δs = rΔθ for large values of Δθ and r. It is concluded that this formula is only accurate when Δs is the arc length, not a displacement vector, and that the full formula, ds² = dr² + r²dθ², should be used instead. The formula v = rω is also discussed and its derivation using infinitesimals is explained.
FieldvForce
I know how this formula is made, but surely Δs becomes highly inaccurate for large values of Δθ and r?

In fact when Δθ is ∏ surely Δθ ≠ Δs/r.

Elucidation would very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, if "s" is the arc length on a circle, and the angle is measured in radians, then the relations holds exactly for ALL values.

It holds even for θ = 2∏!

I know it holds for arc length but it's presenting that 's' as displacement, it's even linked linear velocity to this rule.

v = rω...how?

v = rω can't hold for 2∏ as displacement is 0...

FieldvForce said:
I know how this formula is made, but surely Δs becomes highly inaccurate for large values of Δθ and r?
That's why the correct formula uses "d" not "Δ".

FieldvForce said:
v = rω can't hold for 2∏ as displacement
This formula doesn't have displacement in it.

Last edited:
FieldvForce said:
I know it holds for arc length but it's presenting that 's' as displacement, it's even linked linear velocity to this rule.

v = rω...how?

[itex]Because \ v = lim_{t \rightarrow 0}\frac{ds}{dt} = lim_{t \rightarrow 0}r\frac{dθ}{dt}[/itex]

FieldvForce said:

Even if ##s## is not the arc length, but the straight-line displacement between two points, ##ds=\frac{d\theta}{r}## is still exact because it's stated in terms of infinitesimals. If you do the line integral along the arc, you'll get ##\Delta{S}=\frac{\Delta{\theta}}{r}## where ##\Delta{S}## is the length along the arc.

A.T. said:
That's why the correct formula uses "d" not "Δ".

This formula doesn't have displacement in it.

I just used "d" because i didn't know how to use the symbol Δ in the title.

v = rω is concluded from avg(v)= r(avg)ω which is derived from using Δs/Δt = rΔθ/Δt

Yes to all posters talking about t approaching 0 and infinitesimals I agree it works there, but when t is large doesn't the equation become inaccurate?

Ah, I said when ds is very big and dθ when i should have said dt.

FieldvForce said:

In fact when Δθ is ∏ surely Δθ ≠ Δs/r.

Elucidation would very appreciated.
Well, the formula in the title is incomplete.

The exact formula for distance in a plane is given by the Pathagorean theorem:
ds²=dx²+dy²

The exact transformation to polar coordinates is
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)

Substituting the exact transformation into the exact distance you get exactly
ds² = dr² + r² dθ²

Which is the complete formula. Of course, if you want to calculate a large distance then you have to integrate.

In the special case that dr=0 then you get your formula
dθ = ds/r

If Δs is a displacement vector (i.e., relative position vector) between two points on a circle, then the equation only applies infinitecimally. If Δs is the arc length between two points on the circle, then it works for all values of Δθ. Did you mean to imply that Δs is supposed to be a relative position vector?

FieldvForce, if Chestermiller is correct then you should be aware that a position vector is a path where dr≠0, so you cannot use your incomplete formula. You would need to use the full formula instead. In that sense, it would be inaccurate since you are using a simplified formula in a circumstance which violates the assumption on which the simplification is based.

DaleSpam said:
Well, the formula in the title is incomplete.

The exact formula for distance in a plane is given by the Pathagorean theorem:
ds²=dx²+dy²

The exact transformation to polar coordinates is
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)

Substituting the exact transformation into the exact distance you get exactly
ds² = dr² + r² dθ²

Which is the complete formula. Of course, if you want to calculate a large distance then you have to integrate.

In the special case that dr=0 then you get your formula
dθ = ds/r

Chestermiller said:
If Δs is a displacement vector (i.e., relative position vector) between two points on a circle, then the equation only applies infinitecimally. If Δs is the arc length between two points on the circle, then it works for all values of Δθ. Did you mean to imply that Δs is supposed to be a relative position vector?

DaleSpam said:
FieldvForce, if Chestermiller is correct then you should be aware that a position vector is a path where dr≠0, so you cannot use your incomplete formula. You would need to use the full formula instead. In that sense, it would be inaccurate since you are using a simplified formula in a circumstance which violates the assumption on which the simplification is based.

Thank you very much for clearing things up.

You are welcome! :smile:

1. What is dθ = ds/r?

Dθ = ds/r is a mathematical formula used to calculate the change in angle (dθ) between two points on a circle, given the length of the arc (ds) and the radius of the circle (r).

2. How is dθ = ds/r useful in understanding accuracy for large values of Δθ and r?

By using dθ = ds/r, we can accurately measure and understand the change in angle between two points on a circle, even for large values of Δθ and r. This is especially useful in fields such as engineering and astronomy, where precise measurements are necessary.

3. What are some real-world applications of dθ = ds/r?

Dθ = ds/r has many practical applications, such as calculating the distance between two points on a curved road, determining the size and shape of planetary orbits, and designing circular objects such as wheels and gears.

4. How does dθ = ds/r relate to trigonometry?

Dθ = ds/r is closely related to trigonometry, as it involves the use of angles and the relationships between them. In particular, it utilizes the concept of the radian measure, where one radian is equal to the length of the arc divided by the radius.

5. Can dθ = ds/r be applied to non-circular shapes?

Dθ = ds/r is specifically designed for circular shapes, but similar principles can be applied to non-circular shapes by using different formulas. For example, the formula dθ = ds/r can be modified to calculate the change in angle for an ellipse, but it may not work for irregular shapes.