Optical Transfer Function of a microscope

In summary, the conversation is about the "missing cone" problem in wide-field microscopy and the interpretation of the OTF support in the Z dimension. The OTF is the Fourier equivalent of the PSF and has a toroidal shape. The side lobes in the 3D OTF model represent the spatial frequencies in the Z dimension, with the "missing cone" representing the out of focus light contribution. The conversation also discusses vectorial models and their relevance to high-NA imaging and polarized light. Overall, there is still some confusion about the presence of support at higher spatial frequencies in the Z dimension.
u0362565
Hi all,

I have a question about the "missing cone" problem in wide-field microscopy. The Fourier equivalent of the PSF is the OTF. The OTF has a toroidal (doughnut) shape. I'm a little confused by how to interpret the OTF support in the Z dimension. In 2D and considering lateral resolution only, the OTF support is circular with the origin at the zero frequency (average image brightness). When you add Z into it and view the 3D OTF model what can you say about spatial frequencies in Z? Obviously some info in Z is captured because the torus has lobes either side of the missing cone.
Increasing distance along the Z axis of the OTF represents higher spatial frequencies? same as the case for x and y. So basically what do the side lobes represent in the real image and what does the missing cone represent?

Many thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Could you be so kind to explain your abbreviations?

Hi Dr Du,

Yes sorry, the PSF is the point spread function of the microscope (the blurred image of a point source due to diffraction). The OTF is the optical transfer function, i believe a convolution of the PSF yields the Fourier space equivalent the OTF and this represents the pass-band of the microscope, i.e the spatial frequencies in the sample that are captured by the lens.
This link shows an image of an OTF which is missing the axes labels but baiscally has planes x, y and z. The x and y planes give rise to the lateral resolution of the microscope and z plane (height) is the axial resolution as i understand it..
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3D...lebark.net%2Fmra%2Fresearch%2Fvotf%2F;387;290

Hope that makes it clearer.

Thanks

u0362565 said:

Oh.. I see. This is actually interesting, barely discussed in Gu's "Advanced Optical Imaging Theory". The 3-D incoherent OTF does have unexpected structure. It cannot be normalized at the origin, for example. The 'missing cone' of spatial frequencies near the origin corresponds to the 'streaks' associated with the 3D PSF (for example, http://bigwww.epfl.ch/algorithms/psfgenerator/meta/splash.jpg).

Similar OTF functions are obtained for high-NA imaging associated with microscopy and also for vectoral diffraction theory, which is appropriate for both high NA lenses and use of polarized light.

Yes there's some nice vectorial models there, thanks for that. After a bit more reading I think I'm content with considering that the "missing cone" represents the out of focus light contribution in the axial direction. If it's out of focus there is little information there to contribute to the spatial frequency content. I'm still not sure why there appears to be considerable support axially at higher spatial frequencies as represented by the height of the otf above and below the origin.

Thanks for your inputs

u0362565 said:
If it's out of focus there is little information there to contribute to the spatial frequency content.

Yes, this explains the cut off at high frequencies but not the missing low frequencies.

1. What is the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) of a microscope?

The Optical Transfer Function (OTF) of a microscope is a measure of its ability to accurately transfer the image of an object to the image plane. It represents the relationship between the spatial frequency of the object and the corresponding contrast in the image.

2. How is the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) calculated?

The Optical Transfer Function (OTF) is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the Point Spread Function (PSF), which is the image produced by a point source in the object plane. The OTF is then the ratio of the Fourier transforms of the image and the object.

3. What factors affect the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) of a microscope?

There are several factors that can affect the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) of a microscope, including the quality of the optics, the numerical aperture of the objective lens, the wavelength of light used, and any aberrations present in the system.

4. How does the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) relate to image resolution?

The Optical Transfer Function (OTF) is directly related to the resolution of an image. A higher OTF value indicates a higher resolution, meaning that the microscope is able to accurately represent finer details in the object being imaged.

5. Can the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) be improved?

Yes, the Optical Transfer Function (OTF) can be improved by using higher quality optics, increasing the numerical aperture of the objective lens, and reducing any aberrations in the system. Additionally, using a shorter wavelength of light can also improve the OTF and therefore, the resolution of the image.