Radiative Transfer (Optically Thin Cloud)

In summary: If it's optically thick, does the emission term become much more important?).[/itex]In summary, the cloud's brightness as a function of distance from the centre changes depending on the cloud's optical thickness.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An optically thin cloud at temperature T radiates power [itex] P_{\nu} [/itex] per unit volume. Find an expression for the cloud's brightness [itex] I_{\nu} [/itex] as a function of distance from the centre of the cloud in the case where:

(a) the cloud is a cube of side d

(b) the cloud is a sphere of radius R

(c) How would your answers change if the cloud were optically thick?

Homework Equations

First of all, terminology varies wildly, but astronomical terminology is being used here i.e. "brightness" refers to the radiometric unit that is a measure of the rate (with time) at which energy arrives per unit of a given perpendular area per frequency band and from a given direction (i.e. per unit solid angle subtended presumably by the source) as measured in [itex] \textrm{W} \cdot \textrm{m}^{-2} \cdot \textrm{Hz}^{-1} \cdot \textrm{sr}^{-1} [/itex]

The relevant equation given is the Radiative Transfer Equation, which describes how this "brightness" varies with distance from the centre of the source, one term being a loss due to absorption, and the other term being a gain due to radiation:

[tex] \frac{dI_{\nu}(s)}{ds} = -\alpha_{\nu}(s)I_{\nu}(s) + j_{\nu} [/itex]​

where [itex] \alpha_{\nu}(s) [/itex] is the absorption coefficient, and [itex]j_{\nu}[/itex] is the rate of change of brightness with distance due to emission i.e. the energy radiated per unit time, per unit volume, per unit solid angle.

The optical depth, [itex]\tau_{\nu}(s) [/itex] is defined by:

[tex]\tau_{\nu}(s) = \int_{s_0}^s \alpha_{\nu}(s^\prime)\, ds^\prime [/tex]

Optically thin means tau << 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't 100% sure how to proceed, but my first thought was that maybe the relationship between [itex]\j_{\nu}[/itex] and [itex]P_{\nu} [/itex] just depends on the shape of the cloud. Furthermore, we're given an equation that (from what I understand), is true under any circumstances, so I set about trying to solve the ODE using the method of integrating factors:

let,

[tex] \phi(s) = \exp{(\int_{s_0}^s \alpha_{\nu}(s^\prime)\, ds^\prime)} = e^{\tau_{\nu}(s)} [/tex]​

then,

[tex] e^{\tau_{\nu}}\frac{dI_{\nu}}{ds} + e^{\tau_{\nu}}\alpha_{\nu}I_{\nu} = e^{\tau_{\nu}}j_{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] e^{\tau_{\nu}}\frac{dI_{\nu}}{ds} + \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{\tau_{\nu}}\right)I_{\nu} = e^{\tau_{\nu}}j_{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{\tau_{\nu}}I_{\nu}\right) = e^{\tau_{\nu}}j_{\nu} [/tex]

[tex] e^{\tau_{\nu}}I_{\nu}= \int e^{\tau_{\nu}}j_{\nu} \, ds [/tex]​

Now this is where I am stuck (i.e. I don't know what to do with this, or whether I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts, guys?

If it's optically thin, how important is the absorption term in the radiative transfer equation?

1. What is radiative transfer in optically thin clouds?

Radiative transfer in optically thin clouds refers to the process of energy transfer through absorption, emission, and scattering of electromagnetic radiation within clouds that have a low optical thickness. This means that the clouds allow a significant amount of radiation to pass through them.

2. How does radiative transfer affect weather and climate?

Radiative transfer plays a crucial role in the Earth's weather and climate by determining the amount of solar radiation that reaches the surface and the amount of outgoing thermal radiation that is trapped in the atmosphere. Changes in radiative transfer can lead to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and atmospheric circulation, which ultimately impact weather and climate.

3. What factors influence radiative transfer in optically thin clouds?

The main factors that influence radiative transfer in optically thin clouds include the cloud properties (such as thickness, density, and particle size), the composition of the cloud (water vapor, ice particles, etc.), and the characteristics of the incoming radiation (wavelength, intensity, angle of incidence).

4. How does radiative transfer differ in optically thin and optically thick clouds?

In optically thin clouds, radiation can easily pass through the cloud without being absorbed or scattered, resulting in a weaker effect on the energy balance of the atmosphere. In contrast, in optically thick clouds, radiation is more likely to be absorbed or scattered multiple times, leading to a stronger impact on the energy balance and potentially causing significant changes in weather and climate.

5. What techniques are used to study radiative transfer in optically thin clouds?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study radiative transfer in optically thin clouds, including remote sensing (using satellites and ground-based instruments), laboratory experiments, and numerical modeling. These methods allow researchers to measure and simulate the interaction of radiation with clouds and understand its effects on the Earth's energy balance.