Reference for Learning About Waves

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a book that is intermediate between introductory and advanced for understanding waves and oscillations. The person asking the question mentioned looking at multiple textbooks and asking for suggestions. They also mentioned their specific goal of developing a model for synchronizing two non-linear oscillators and their search for relevant literature. They also shared their own resources and asked for additional tips from others.
axsvl77
I recently looked at the reference in an article I am reading, and subsequently checked "Oscillations and Waves in Linear and Nonlinear Systems" my Rabinovihc and Trubetskov from the local library.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0792304454/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Great book, but unfortunately as a first year graduate student, it is hard for me to understand.

I have looked at this forum:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...extbook-to-learn-about-waves-and-oscillations

And looked at all the textbooks there, and they are all fantastic, but introductory. Can anyone suggest a book that is intermediate between these two extremes?

At the moment, I want to develop a model for synchronizing two non-linear oscillators. Been done before, but it is a useful exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try searching the Web of Science (at your university library) for your key words.

With luck you will find a review article closely related to your topic.

It has been six or so month since I posted this, so I'll answer my own question.

I started with "Introduction to Wave Phenomena" by Akira Hirose
Continued with "Vibrations and Waves in Physics" by Ian Main
After that, "Nonlinear vibrations in mechanical and electrical systems" by J. J Stoker
Then "Nonlinear Autonomous Oscillators" by Urabe for math practice
And "Nonlinear Oscillations" by Ali H. Nayfeh also for math stuff.

Then Rabinovich can be better understood.

Anyone else have any tips?

1. What are waves?

Waves are a type of disturbance that travels through a medium, such as air or water, without causing a permanent displacement of the medium itself. They can be described as a transfer of energy from one location to another.

2. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Examples of mechanical waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves. Examples of electromagnetic waves include radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and X-rays.

3. How do waves interact with each other?

Waves can interact with each other in several ways. They can undergo interference, where two or more waves combine to form a new wave. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger wave, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out. Waves can also undergo diffraction, where they bend around obstacles, and refraction, where they change direction as they pass through different mediums.

4. What are the properties of waves?

Waves have several properties that can be used to describe them. These include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. Speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium.

5. How are waves used in everyday life?

Waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include using sound waves for communication and navigation, using electromagnetic waves for wireless communication and medical imaging, and using water waves for surfing and generating electricity. Waves are also used in many scientific fields, such as seismology, meteorology, and oceanography, to study and understand various natural phenomena.