Can a 12 volt DC motor and PWM be used to power a dolly?

In summary: I think you need a PWM that can handle the amps. I'm not sure if the one you linked is the right one though.
ccd2004
Hello all.
First off, I am a total newbie and need some help in getting my "project" up and running.

Here goes, I'm trying to get a dolly (weighing around 50lbs. or so) to move at a fairly slow constant speed.
I'm thinking my best option is to find a 12 volt DC motor along w/a speed control (PWM) that is capable of achieving such awesomeness.

I've done some research and I see there are millions of dc motors to choose from along w/ a handful of PWM's. How can I tell if the power supply (12 volt marine battery), motor, and PWM will all work? Is it possible to fry the motor or PWM due to the Amperage coming out of the battery? (is that a stupid question?) How big of motor would I need? I know speed isn't a issue but I need something w/ a lot of torque.

Basically, I have an idea of what I need to do but am worried that if I get the wrong components I'll fry one thing or the other or myself. If you or someone you know has experience w/ this or a part list that'd be good for me I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much for your help.

-CD

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably need a geared motor controlled by a PWM.

I had an idea though.

Elderly folk drive around on little electric mobility scooters, "gophers".

These have all the electronics and motors and wheels you would need.
If you could pick up one of those cheaply and remount the bits, including the very nice battery these things use, you would have a chance of making this a practical project.

New ones are probably expensive but second hand ones might go cheaply.
I had a look on EBay but couldn't see any cheap ones.You'd need one in your area, though as shipping would be expensive.

Or you could just buy up on the important parts.

Hi there Vk,

Thanks for the scooter suggestion. I did think of that as a solution and haven't totally ruled it out yet. The only problem is the price of those things. I think it'd be cheaper if I were to "part" it out and wire it all up that way.

Yes. New ones cost $3000 or so.

They are beautifully constructed though. They have motors in the back wheels and a great control box.
I saw some for about $500 second hand. They would normally be sold when the owner moved into a nursing home so they might be looking for as much cash as possible.

Anyway, if you got the model number of one you could ring up and ask how much a set of back wheels and motors would cost. I think they have two motors.
That has to be a lot cheaper than a new one anyway.

ccd2004 said:
Hello all.
First off, I am a total newbie and need some help in getting my "project" up and running.

Here goes, I'm trying to get a dolly (weighing around 50lbs. or so) to move at a fairly slow constant speed.
I'm thinking my best option is to find a 12 volt DC motor along w/a speed control (PWM) that is capable of achieving such awesomeness.

I've done some research and I see there are millions of dc motors to choose from along w/ a handful of PWM's. How can I tell if the power supply (12 volt marine battery), motor, and PWM will all work? Is it possible to fry the motor or PWM due to the Amperage coming out of the battery? (is that a stupid question?) How big of motor would I need? I know speed isn't a issue but I need something w/ a lot of torque.

Basically, I have an idea of what I need to do but am worried that if I get the wrong components I'll fry one thing or the other or myself. If you or someone you know has experience w/ this or a part list that'd be good for me I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much for your help.

-CD

Not sure just how much torque you need, but this might be close for a start. The 280 RPM will need to be geared down more, which can be done with pulleys and belts.

Look under both electrical, and power transmission, there is a lot to chose from. I have ordered lots of things from these people, and have had no problems or disappointments.
Ron

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009050210082290&catname=electric&item=5-1623

That motor looks like it would probably work but I'm curious at what type of PWM I'd need.

Do I have to match up the AMP's? Again I'm quite new to figuring out amps, volts etc. and don't want to mess anything up.

ccd2004 said:
That motor looks like it would probably work but I'm curious at what type of PWM I'd need.

Do I have to match up the AMP's? Again I'm quite new to figuring out amps, volts etc. and don't want to mess anything up.
A good mobility scooter comes with a) 24 volt battery b) motor and gearing c) a forward/reverse PWM speed control c) can move 250 pounds at 5 mph d) cost about $800
go to
http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Go-Go-Ultra-X-3-Wheel-Travel-Scooter/spec.cfm?productID=79592

Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-HIGH-TORQUE-GEARED-MOTOR-TRW-GLOBE-NEW-54-RPM_W0QQitemZ260307711211QQcategoryZ71400QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DFICS%252BUFI%252BUA%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Hooked up to one of these http://electroniccity.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=541

and using a 12volt 85amp hour marine battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-HIGH-TORQUE-G...DLVI%26ps%3D54

Possibly not. That is a 24 volt 0.2A motor or about 4.8 watts.

Apart from maybe not having enough power to work, you would need to know what happens to the gears when you stop the Dolly. If it is a worm gear and you try to stop a heavy load by cutting the power to the motor, the gears can be stripped of teeth after you do it a few times.

The scooters probably have a slipping clutch arrangement to cope with these destructive forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Vk,
I didn't even realize that the teeth could get stripped.
Perhaps using the type of motor used in a scooter wired up to the PWM (if I can't find the entire scooter assembly).

What is a 12 volt DC motor?

A 12 volt DC motor is an electric motor that operates on direct current (DC) power and is designed to run on a 12 volt power supply. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to produce rotational motion.

How does a 12 volt DC motor work?

A 12 volt DC motor works by using a magnetic field to interact with electric current, causing the motor to rotate. The motor consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) that contains permanent magnets. When an electric current is applied to the motor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets, causing the rotor to rotate.

What is PWM and how does it affect a 12 volt DC motor?

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a technique used to control the speed of a 12 volt DC motor by adjusting the amount of power supplied to it. It works by rapidly switching the power on and off, with the duration of the on/off cycles determining the motor's speed. The longer the on time, the faster the motor will spin.

What are the advantages of using a 12 volt DC motor with PWM?

The use of PWM with a 12 volt DC motor offers several advantages, such as energy efficiency, precise speed control, and reduced wear and tear on the motor. By adjusting the power supply to the motor, PWM can also help to protect the motor from overheating and increase its lifespan.

What are some common applications of a 12 volt DC motor with PWM?

A 12 volt DC motor with PWM is commonly used in various applications, including automotive systems, robotics, small appliances, and electronic devices. It is also often used in DIY projects and hobbyist applications such as motorized toys, drones, and RC cars.