IEEE: 25 Microchips that Shook the World

• Thread starter MATLABdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ieee
In summary, the Spectrum article discusses 25 microchips that shook the world. Some of the more notable microchips are the 7400, 808x, and 68000. The Sparc is not included in the top 25, but it is mentioned as a possible contender. Flash memory is mentioned as a more significant game changer than any of the microchips. The Cell Processor is not included in the honorable mentions despite its importance, and is instead left off the list entirely.
MATLABdude
Science Advisor
Found via a Slashdot posting, an article in IEEE Spectrum, 25 Microchips that Shook the World:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/print/8747

I thought the 7400 (or the whole 74xx series) deserved to be on there, but it did make the Runners-Up list:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8814/

Other articles in the 25 Microchips that Shook the World special:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/25chips

Engineering news on Phys.org
Our parents and grandparents got nostalgic over steam trains and sailing ships, we get nostalgia over memory chips !
Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be ...

mgb_phys said:
Our parents and grandparents got nostalgic over steam trains and sailing ships, we get nostalgia over memory chips !
Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be ...
I wouldn't say that. :biggrin:
6sj7.jpg

MATLABdude said:
Found via a Slashdot posting, an article in IEEE Spectrum, 25 Microchips that Shook the World:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/print/8747

I thought the 7400 (or the whole 74xx series) deserved to be on there, but it did make the Runners-Up list:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8814/
Good point, 2nd that.

Overall great selection by Spectrum. Right away I thought of the z80, the 808x, and the original Mac's 68000. I disagree w/ putting the Sparc in the top 25. The world shaking aspect of those early Sun machines was over all design of the box and Sun's Unix version. They would have also done well on Motorola or Intel CPUs. Also, I'd leave the Cell Processor off even the honorable mentions. It is a heck of CPU for pure number crunching, but it has too many draw backs for the wide acceptance required to get on 'shook the world' list.

mheslep said:
I disagree w/ putting the Sparc in the top 25. The world shaking aspect of those early Sun machines was over all design of the box and Sun's Unix version.
You have to include a RISC processor, the DEC Alpha was probably bang/buck/watt more revolutionary but died of HP takeover.

Also, I'd leave the Cell Processor off even the honorable mentions. It is a heck of CPU for pure number crunching, but it has too many draw backs for the wide acceptance required to get on 'shook the world' list.
The list is about game-changing inventions, $10 GPUs that are more powerful than supercomputers are going to have an effect.

I'm not sure if the Micronas MP3 chip was that big of a game changer, but you can't argue with the near-ubiquity of iPods and other MP3 players today. Then again, people had CD players before then, and before that, Walkmans, and before that, Boomboxes and transistor radios. And I guess way before then, they had guitars (or lutes).

If anything, the huge amounts of data that you can now tote around on your keychain probably owes more to flash memory. Very few of them have the ability to decode and play MP3s though.

mgb_phys said:
You have to include a RISC processor, the DEC Alpha was probably bang/buck/watt more revolutionary but died of HP takeover.
The Alpha was novel and powerful but it had zilch for world impact.
The list is about game-changing inventions, $10 GPUs that are more powerful than supercomputers are going to have an effect.
Yeah I'd put Nvidia GPUs on there as game changers.

MATLABdude said:
I'm not sure if the Micronas MP3 chip was that big of a game changer, but you can't argue with the near-ubiquity of iPods and other MP3 players today. Then again, people had CD players before then, and before that, Walkmans, and before that, Boomboxes and transistor radios. And I guess way before then, they had guitars (or lutes)...
Yes but none of those fundamentally changed the music industry. MP3 did, by allowing immediately access to new music and the ability to take a huge collection with you where ever you roam.

mheslep said:
Yes but none of those fundamentally changed the music industry. MP3 did, by allowing immediately access to new music and the ability to take a huge collection with you where ever you roam.

And ease of distribution, and force the examination of the delineation between human tendencies to share, and the need to reward the artists to keep the music going (so to speak). Okay, maybe it's more like rewarding the recording companies, and having the royalties trickle down to the artists.

MATLABdude said:
I'm not sure if the Micronas MP3 chip was that big of a game changer,
The important thing about the MP3 player was that it changed the thinking on formats.
CDs (and to an extent DVD) use a very simple encoding because the assumption was that you couldn't have complex algorithms in the decoder because you want to sell millions of them and it's too expensive to build anything powerful using general purpose CPUs

The MP3 chips said, build the best compression system you can, don't worry about the cost of decoding - the market will produce custom chips that make it cheaper than you can imagine.

Related to IEEE: 25 Microchips that Shook the World

1. What is IEEE: 25 Microchips that Shook the World?

IEEE: 25 Microchips that Shook the World is a book compiled by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) that showcases the most significant microchips in history and their impact on the world of technology.

2. How many microchips are featured in the book?

The book features 25 microchips that were selected by a panel of experts based on their technological breakthroughs, historical significance, and societal impact.

3. What is the purpose of the book?

The purpose of the book is to highlight the important role that microchips have played in shaping the modern world and to recognize the innovators and engineers behind these groundbreaking technologies.

4. Can non-scientists understand the content of the book?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is accessible to both scientists and non-scientists. It provides a brief history of each microchip and explains its significance in a clear and understandable manner.

5. Is the book limited to a specific type of microchip?

No, the book covers a wide range of microchips, including those used in computers, cell phones, medical devices, and more. It showcases the diversity of microchips and their impact on different industries and aspects of daily life.