Comparing Light Output of 60W Type A and Type B Incandescent Light Bulbs

In summary, the discussion concludes that there should not be a noticeable difference in light output between a 60W Type A incandescent light bulb and a 60W Type B incandescent light bulb. Any potential variations in light output due to geometric effects are negligible compared to variations in filament resistance, which dominates the light output. It is also noted that the power (light) output scales with the filament temperature to the fourth power, but this power comes from joule heating of the filament (I^2R). Additionally, there is a suggestion for the forum to have a mechanism for the author of a thread to rate the answers.
fuzzMan53
Does a 60W Type A (general service) incandescent light bulb put out more light than a 60W Type B (candelabra torpedo) incandescent light bulb?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not noticably
There might be slight geometric effects from the distance the filament is from the base an the solid angle that is blocked but compared to the variation in output from tiny changes in the filament resistance these are negligible.
Remember light output is proportional to the current^4 so variations in this dominate

I agree that there shouldn't be any noticeable difference given similar filament shape and temperature between the bulbs, but shouldn't that be current2? The power (light) output would scale with T4, but that power should be coming from joule heating of the filament (I2R).

Last edited:
Ok, thanks.

These answers seem reasonable. While I'm not sure I would know a correct answer if I saw one, shouldn't this forum have a mechanism by which I can rate the answers? Many forums these days allow the author of a thread to specify one of the replies as a "best answer" to reward the person that provided the most precise/through reply.

With Respect,

FuzzMan53

1. What is incandescent shape efficiency?

Incandescent shape efficiency refers to the ability of an incandescent light bulb to convert electrical energy into visible light. It is measured in lumens per watt (lm/W), with higher values indicating a more efficient bulb.

2. How is incandescent shape efficiency calculated?

Incandescent shape efficiency is calculated by dividing the total luminous flux (measured in lumens) of the bulb by the power it consumes (measured in watts). This ratio gives the efficiency of the bulb in lumens per watt.

3. What factors affect incandescent shape efficiency?

The main factors that affect incandescent shape efficiency are the temperature of the filament, the type of gas fill used, and the filament material and design. Higher temperatures, certain gas fills, and well-designed filaments can lead to higher efficiency.

4. How does incandescent shape efficiency compare to other types of lighting?

Compared to other types of lighting, such as LED and fluorescent, incandescent bulbs have lower shape efficiency. This is due to the fact that they produce light by heating a filament, which results in a significant amount of energy being lost as heat.

5. Are there any ways to improve incandescent shape efficiency?

There have been efforts to improve incandescent shape efficiency, such as using different gas fills and coatings on the filament. However, due to the nature of the technology, it is difficult to significantly improve efficiency without sacrificing other important factors, such as color rendering and bulb lifespan.