How Good of a Grad School can I get into?

In summary, the speaker is a senior majoring in physics and mathematics, with a 3.52 major GPA in physics, 3.80 major GPA in math, and an overall GPA of 3.71. They have been a teaching assistant for eight classes and have volunteered at science events for children. They have also completed a math thesis and have published it at their university. The speaker has presented at physics conferences and is currently conducting research at a major university in New England, with plans to conduct research with a European professor and complete a physics thesis in the coming academic year. Their main question is how they compare to other applicants when applying to graduate schools, specifically their top choices of Boston University, University of Maryland, and SUNY
pickles314
Hello,

I am going to begin my senior year soon as a physics/mathematics double major, and I will be applying to graduate schools later this fall. I am unsure how I rank in the field, and would like to know how people think of my status.

Major GPA (physics): 3.52

Major GPA (math): 3.80

Overall GPA: 3.71

I have been a teaching assistant for eight classes (Calc I three times, Linear Algebra two times, a low level physics, an upper level thermal physics course, and a philosophy course), and I have volunteered at science events for little kids seven times. I am very research active--I have recently completed a math thesis (in theoretical physics) which has been published at my university, and will be submitting two new publications later this summer. I have contributed/presented at physics conferences on several separate different occasions, including an APS meeting. Currently, I am engaged in research at a major university in New England, and will be conducting research with a European professor soon, as well as conducting a physics thesis this coming academic year.

My main question is this: how do I stack up, in the long run, when applying to grad schools? My top choices are Boston University, University of Maryland, and SUNY Stony Brook. I have conducted research at Boston University, and some faculty there know my quite well. Would this help me get into this school? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your credentials stack up quite well. I imagine that getting into BU will be much easier if you having a working relationship with profs there and they are aware of you and your skills.

Also I would seek their advice on how best to apply for grad school at BU. They may even want to actively recruit you when it comes time to divvy up grad students to profs.

Your department profs may also give you some guidance on how to apply. You'll need recommendation letters from them as well.

Getting into grad school is a lot like applying for a job. It doesn't hurt to have someone on the inside pulling for you. It all about active networking.

You have good credentials to say the very least by reading your OP. You're going to get into a program somewhere in my opinion. The programs you listed are all great ones and you should have at least a chance :). But know, it's impossible to say exactly what people look for, and there can be luck involved.

My advice is that If your tops are Boston University, SUNY, and Maryland, you should actively reach out to faculty at those schools that do research you may be interested in in the future. Talk to them, maybe even meet them if the opportunity arises. Let them know when you send your application in.

Anything you can do to get an edge is great, cause remember that at schools like these, many people are applying with credentials like yours. (Yours is not singling you out, I just mean that many people applying have great credentials and you can be anyone of them)

Related to How Good of a Grad School can I get into?

1. What factors determine the quality of a graduate school?

The quality of a graduate school is determined by a variety of factors, including the reputation of the institution, the strength of its faculty and research programs, the resources and facilities available to students, and the success of its graduates in their respective fields.

2. How does my undergraduate GPA affect my chances of getting into a good graduate school?

Your undergraduate GPA is one of the most important factors that graduate schools consider. A strong GPA is often seen as an indication of your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate studies. However, some schools may also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores.

3. Can I get into a good graduate school with a low GPA?

While a low GPA may make it more difficult to get into a top graduate program, it is not necessarily a disqualifying factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to highlight your strengths and address any weaknesses in your application.

4. What is a competitive GRE score for graduate school?

The competitive score for the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) varies depending on the program and institution. Generally, a score in the 75th percentile or above is considered competitive. However, it is important to note that the GRE is just one aspect of the application and a lower score can be offset by other strong components.

5. Is it better to attend a highly ranked graduate school or a program that is a good fit for my specific research interests?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. Attending a highly ranked graduate school may provide more prestige and opportunities, but a program that aligns with your research interests and goals may be more beneficial in the long run. It is important to carefully consider both factors and choose the program that best fits your needs.