Magnetism help - direction of charges

In summary: Which direction do the electrons in the area move? Both electrons move in a direction due to the force of the magnetic field.
Da-Force
I've already taken the test but this is lingering in my head.

We have two electrons in an area of 0 magnetic field.

One electron is at rest while the other is moving westward. We then apply a magnetic field B moving eastward. What direction are the electrons moving?

Note: No direction is not an answer... All 5 possible choices stated that both electrons moved in a direction. The question is what DIRECTION are they moving.

Image for you, animated by me just in case you are better with an image :-p

http://xs72.xs.to/pics/06116/electronmotion.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by answering this question: What force does the magnetic field exert on each electron?

(I assume that you can ignore the forces the electrons exert on each other.)

Right Hand Rule doesn't work LOL (Left Hand in this case)

It's kinda tricky.. I've been able to answer most of all other kinds of problems, but this one is tough.

Moving Electron has no force while I ain't sure about stationary.. :-X

Why does the moving electron experience no force? (You're correct, but why?)

Does a stationary charge experience a force in a magnetic field?

What's the rule for the magnetic force on a charge?

|F|=qVBsin@ where @ = 180 degrees.

A stationary charge couldn't experience a force if v=0 based on the equation...

Doc, I know all this.. What's wrong with this problem?

Da-Force said:
|F|=qVBsin@ where @ = 180 degrees.

A stationary charge couldn't experience a force if v=0 based on the equation...
Right. So you agree that the force on each charge is zero. So, what does Newton's 2nd law tell you?

Doc, I know all this.. What's wrong with this problem?
Nothing. You just have to get your mind around it. Hint: If the force is zero, how will the velocities change due to the presence of the magnetic field?

They don't change, but all the possible choices stated both particles moved.

That's what I can't get my mind over.

Can you recall the exact choices?

(The only way that both charges will move is if you are meant to include the force that they exert on each other: They repel each other.)

Umm..

Something like:

Stationary e-:
North
South
East
Up
Down

Moving e-:
East
West
Southward towards Earth
North
Down

I'd have to say that the given answers sound bogus. (What was the relative position of the two charges?)

They don't give you relative positions.

They explained that they put these two charges at a point in space where there is no magnetic field. Then they add a magnetic field X_X

1. What is magnetism and how does it work?

Magnetism is a phenomenon in which certain materials or objects attract or repel each other due to the presence of invisible magnetic fields. These magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, which align in a specific direction to create a force.

2. How do charges affect the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the electrically charged particles that are creating it. The particles will align in a specific direction, either parallel or antiparallel, which will determine the overall direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the direction of charges affect the direction of a magnet?

The direction of charges within a magnet determines the overall polarity, or north and south poles. The north pole of a magnet will have a higher concentration of negatively charged particles, while the south pole will have a higher concentration of positively charged particles.

4. How can I determine the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined by using a compass. The needle of a compass will align with the direction of the magnetic field, pointing towards the north pole of a magnet.

5. Can the direction of charges within a magnet change?

Yes, the direction of charges within a magnet can change. This can occur when a magnet is heated, exposed to a strong external magnetic field, or when it is physically damaged. This can result in the reversal of the north and south poles, changing the overall direction of the magnetic field.