Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: There are between 17(if you quote them) and 20(if you count the pins on their map) labs.The tour includes the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) and the National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) - check the schedule. If you do go for the NSLS open house tour, wave at the facility located at Beamline U13. I spent 2 1/2 memorable years working at that facility.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's that time of the year again when Brookhaven National Lab opens its doors to the public in a series of Summer Sunday Tours. If you are or will be in the NYC/Long Island area, I highly recommend you make an effort to visit them during one of their scheduled tours.

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/PR_display.asp?prID=05-64

You get to see the amazing facilities that have produced a series of landmark discoveries and a few Nobel Prizes along the way. Includes in the open tours are the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) and the National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) - check the schedule. If you do go for the NSLS open house tour, wave at the facility located at Beamline U13. I spent 2 1/2 memorable years working at that facility.

Zz.

Likes berkeman and davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
The thread is old and the link shows a server error, still asking: is the tour still conducted?

davenn said:

You rang?

Wrichik Basu said:
The thread is old and the link shows a server error, still asking: is the tour still conducted?

Yes, it is old so one shouldn't expect the link to work. And yes, you should go to the BNL website (www.bnl.gov) and search for their summer sunday tours. They had one last year.

Why, were you thinking of flying half-way across the world and coming to one of those?

Zz.

Likes davenn
ZapperZ said:
Why, were you thinking of flying half-way across the world and coming to one of those?
Nope, but someone else here on PF might be interested.

Wrichik Basu said:
Nope, but someone else here on PF might be interested.

That someone would have had an easier and quicker time going directly to the BNL website than digging through a 2005 posting.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50
:oldlaugh:
Sorry to laugh, but I thought it would be nice to visit a "National Lab" a bit closer to home, as I love to brag about places I've been, so I googled, and found a map.
There are between 17(if you quote them) and 20(if you count the pins on their map) labs.

Much to my surprise, there's one I've never heard of about 80 miles from my house.
And much to my chagrin, as it indicates I'm either senile or an idiot, I found that I spent 6 months training at one of the labs. :doh:

Ha! There's something that wasn't even on my bucket list that I can cross off.

OmCheeto said:
here are between 17(if you quote them) and 20(if you count the pins on their map) labs.

NETL has three sites and Sandia has two. Argonne used to have two, but INL spun off.

What is the purpose of the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven?

The purpose of the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven is to provide the public with an opportunity to learn about the research and facilities at Brookhaven National Laboratory.

Who can participate in the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven?

Anyone is welcome to participate in the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven. All ages are welcome, but children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

What can visitors expect to see during the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven?

Visitors will have the opportunity to see various facilities and experiments, such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, National Synchrotron Light Source II, and Center for Functional Nanomaterials. They will also learn about the research taking place at Brookhaven.

How long are the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven?

The tours typically last about 2-3 hours, depending on the size of the group and the level of interest in each stop on the tour.

Do I need to make a reservation for the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven?

Yes, reservations are required for the Summer Sunday Tours at Brookhaven. This can be done online or by calling the Tour Office. Walk-ins will only be accommodated if space is available.