Does a system of multiple nations and forums ultimately preserve bad behavior?

• Thread starter jimmie
  • Start date
In summary: Lets take them down! We can all watch them and laugh :biggrin: In summary, ZapperZ thinks that public forums mimic nations and that because the problem of crackpots doesn't exist in his backyard, it must exist in someone else's backyard. He thinks that we should take down crackpot threads before they become a problem.
jimmie
Public forums mimic nations in that each nation has its own laws/guidelines, and the "members" either abide by those rules or are banned, basically. While there are many other similarities and differences, I am focusing upon the whole idea and not necessarily the intracies involved.

What I am talking about is that when a member gets banned from a forum, or a citizen gets deported from a nation, that individual deemed not worthy in one particular forum or nation, is still able to gain membership in another forum, and continue the behaviour that originally deemed him not worthy.

I believe that such an environment where there are multiple forums/nations within, ultimately preserves that behaviour which the particular forum/nation deems not worthy.

Just because the problem doesn't exist in your backyard doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, and it usually means the problem does exist in someone's backyard.

I say let's look in everyone's backyard. The whole yard.

So, does such a 'system' of multiple nations ultimately preserve the bad?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, "bad paople", particularly the citizens of a country, are thrown into jail, not out of the country.

jimmie said:
Just because the problem doesn't exist in your backyard doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, and it usually means the problem does exist in someone's backyard.

I say let's look in everyone's backyard. The whole yard.
Are you suggesting we unilaterally intervene in other forum sites? Sort of a pre-emptive strike on crakpots?

I honestly don't know what this thread is trying to say. I wanted to post that picture of a bunny with the pancake on its head, but the approval time for attachments would have spoilt the joke.

People sometime make WAY too many analogies of things that may have no similarities whatsoever.

Zz.

Chi Meson said:
Are you suggesting we unilaterally intervene in other forum sites? Sort of a pre-emptive strike on crakpots?

Lets take them down! We can all watch them and laugh :biggrin:

http://www.nellis.af.mil/gallery/PublicAffairs/images/Airshow2000-bomb-demo.jpg

~H

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:
Why would we need to? If some crackpot signs up for PF and starts posting his "theories" then his thread gets locked(or deleted) and some mentor can explain why it's worng and if doesn't execpt it and keeps posting his "theories" his thread would get deleted and he gets banned and if he wants to go post on some other fourm then he can but he just can't do it hear.

I think sometimes PF members take the crackpot proble to seorisly.

scott1 said:

For a serious logical scientific forum, i don't think such a problem can be taken too seriously.

scott1 said:

Not serious enough I'd say.

I agree with ZapperZ. We are comtemplating about nothing... well less than that even.

What are public forums and how do they work?

Public forums are spaces, both physical and virtual, where people can freely express their opinions and ideas without censorship or fear of retribution. These can include public parks, streets, and online platforms such as social media. In a public forum, individuals have the right to speak, assemble, and petition the government.

What is a nation ban and why are they imposed?

A nation ban, also known as a national ban or country ban, is a restriction imposed by a government on certain individuals or groups from entering their country. These bans are often imposed for national security reasons, such as to prevent potential threats or to control immigration. They can also be used as a political tool to exert pressure on other countries.

What are the effects of public forum and nation bans?

The effects of public forum and nation bans can vary depending on their scope and purpose. In the case of public forum bans, they can limit free speech and the exchange of ideas, hindering the democratic process. Nation bans can have a significant impact on individuals and businesses, disrupting travel plans and impeding international relations.

What are some potential challenges with enforcing public forum and nation bans?

Enforcing public forum and nation bans can be challenging for governments as it requires significant resources and can be met with resistance. In the case of public forum bans, determining what constitutes as free speech and what crosses into hate speech or incitement of violence can be difficult. Nation bans can also be difficult to enforce as individuals can find ways to circumvent the restrictions.

What are some alternatives to public forum and nation bans?

Instead of implementing public forum and nation bans, governments can explore other options such as promoting open dialogue and facilitating peaceful protests. In the case of nation bans, countries can work together to address security concerns and develop more effective immigration policies. Additionally, promoting cultural exchange and understanding can help bridge gaps between nations and reduce the need for bans.