Is the answer for (3 + i) / (6 - i) correct?

• Thread starter elie_girl
  • Start date
In summary, the rationalization of the numerator sqrt(5)+3/-4sqrt(7) is 1 / (sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) and the answer to 3+i/6-i in the form C = a + b*i is 17/37 + (9/37)*i.
elie_girl
1. Rationalize the numerator sqrt(5)+3/-4sqrt(7).

(sqrt(5) + 3) / (-4)(sqrt(7)) =
(sqrt(5) + 3)(sqrt(5) - 3) / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
(5 - 9) / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
-4 / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
1 / (sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3)

2. Perform the operation. Write the answer in a + bi form. 3+i/6-i I do this problem and I get the answer (17+9i)/37 is that right?

(3 + i) / (6 - i) =
(3 + i)(6 + i) / (6 - i)(6 + i) =
18 + 9i -1 / 36 + 1
17 + 9i / 37

Physics news on Phys.org
elie_girl said:
1. Rationalize the numerator sqrt(5)+3/-4sqrt(7).

(sqrt(5) + 3) / (-4)(sqrt(7)) =
(sqrt(5) + 3)(sqrt(5) - 3) / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
(5 - 9) / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
-4 / (-4)(sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3) =
1 / (sqrt(7))(sqrt(5) - 3)

2. Perform the operation. Write the answer in a + bi form. 3+i/6-i I do this problem and I get the answer (17+9i)/37 is that right?

(3 + i) / (6 - i) =
(3 + i)(6 + i) / (6 - i)(6 + i) =
18 + 9i -1 / 36 + 1
17 + 9i / 37

Looks OK to me.

Well I keep submitting then into my homework and I still get them wrong. I don't know what else to do.

Your denominator in 1) should probably combine the √5*√7 as √35

In 2) it asks for the answer in the form C = a + b*i

Hence = 17/37 + (9/37)*i

oh ok thanks! It worked.

FAQ: Is the answer for (3 + i) / (6 - i) correct?

What are the common mistakes when conducting scientific experiments?

Some common mistakes when conducting scientific experiments include improper measurement techniques, using contaminated materials, and not properly controlling for variables.

How do I know if my experimental design is sound?

You can assess the soundness of your experimental design by considering if your hypothesis is testable, if you have a control group, and if you have accounted for potential confounding variables.

What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, you should re-evaluate your experimental design and consider alternative explanations for your findings. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in your field.

How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my data?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of your data, you should use precise and standardized measurement techniques, carefully control for variables, and conduct multiple trials or replicates of your experiment.

What are the ethical considerations when conducting scientific experiments?

Some common ethical considerations when conducting scientific experiments include obtaining informed consent from participants, protecting the privacy and confidentiality of participants, and minimizing harm or discomfort to participants. It is important to follow ethical guidelines and regulations set by your institution or governing body.