Sinusoidal Radiation Statements (T/F)

o79
Homework Statement
True or False for each
Relevant Equations
Equations for sinusoidal electromagnetic radiation
Which of the following are true for sinusoidal radiation?
1) The electric field and the magnetic field have the same magnitude at the same point in space.
2) The electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
3) The source of the radiation is oscillating charges.
4) The radiation pattern does not change with distance.
5) Oscillating charges are not accelerating.
6) The radiation travels perpendicular to the electric field.
7) The radiation travels perpendicular to the magnetic field.
8) The propagation direction of the radiation can be determined from the right hand rule.
9) The radiation pattern does not change with time.

Hi, I am having trouble with this problem. I have selected 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, however, it is marked as incorrect and would appreciate some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have realized my mistakes. The radiation propagates perpendicular to both the electric AND magnetic fields. Also, since E = vB, electric and magnetic fields do not have the same magnitude.

o79 said:
I have realized my mistakes. The radiation propagates perpendicular to both the electric AND magnetic fields. Also, since E = vB, electric and magnetic fields do not have the same magnitude.
I am glad you found your mistakes and you don't need out help.
o79 said:
Hi, I am having trouble with this problem. I have selected 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, however, it is marked as incorrect and would appreciate some guidance.
For future reference: If you have trouble with problems, please understand that we cannot offer any unless we know what you think about the problem and what you tried.

Please read, understand and follow our homework guidelines, especially item 4, here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

1. Is sinusoidal radiation always harmful to living organisms?

No, sinusoidal radiation can be harmful or beneficial depending on the intensity and duration of exposure. Low levels of sinusoidal radiation, such as sunlight, are necessary for plant growth and human health. However, high levels of sinusoidal radiation, such as X-rays, can cause damage to cells and tissues.

2. Can sinusoidal radiation be found naturally in the environment?

Yes, sinusoidal radiation can be found naturally in the form of sunlight, cosmic rays, and radon gas. It is also produced by radioactive elements in the Earth's crust.

3. Are all types of radiation sinusoidal?

No, there are different types of radiation, including sinusoidal, non-sinusoidal, and non-ionizing radiation. Sinusoidal radiation refers to electromagnetic waves that have a sinusoidal waveform, while non-sinusoidal radiation has a different waveform.

4. Can sinusoidal radiation be used for medical purposes?

Yes, sinusoidal radiation can be used for medical purposes such as X-rays, which are used for diagnostic imaging, and radiation therapy, which is used to treat cancer. However, these procedures should only be performed by trained professionals and with proper safety measures in place.

5. Does sinusoidal radiation have any practical applications?

Yes, sinusoidal radiation has many practical applications, including communication technology, such as radio and television broadcasting, and heating and cooking appliances, such as microwaves. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and sterilization.