Register to reply

A couple questions regarding force and free body diagram

by Junkwisch
Tags: body, couple, diagram, force, free
Share this thread:
Junkwisch
Apr23-14, 05:11 AM
P: 17
Hey guy, I would like to ask a few question about force and free body diagram.

First question, I conduct a compressive experiment a few day back, using compression machine to test the strength of different materials e.g., Aluminium, PVC and Ceramic. However there is one thing that I don't under stand in regards to this experiment. When the machine start working, the stress and strain graph somehow start up with a very shallow gradient instead of a straight linear gradient which one would expected for the elastic region (modulus of elasticity). This shallow gradient exists for all three experiments. I asked my lab adviser, which he hold me that this is normal. However, it still stuck me about where this shallow gradient come from.... can any one give me a clue for its existence.

The second question has something to do with a question I found on a text book in regards to drawing a free body diagram. I'm a newbie at this and I'm not certain whether this is the right way to draw it. Can any one give me a head up. (The question and my work out is in attach files)

Best Regards
Junkswischen
Attached Thumbnails
10013618_532860006831782_3022290809424675420_n.jpg   10173804_532860533498396_3172914506026644089_n.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
paisiello2
Apr23-14, 09:58 AM
P: 558
1) I assume that depending on how you attached the compressive element to the testing machine there was some initial slack to be taken up before the full compression load could be applied.

2) Your free body diagram for AB is not in equilibrium. The FBD for BC is looks right.
Seth.T
Apr23-14, 09:42 PM
P: 25
You should put it in the homework section of the forum. You will get better responses.

Junkwisch
Apr24-14, 06:37 AM
P: 17
A couple questions regarding force and free body diagram

Ah, I see that make sense why the graph start out shallow.

For question 2, I thought the one that has a mistake in is segment 2. Is there any other force/moment involves in segment 1? I thought the only force acting on it will be Fcl and Fbc, could there be a bending moment caused by Fcl in segnment A?
paisiello2
Apr24-14, 01:28 PM
P: 558
In order for segment 1 to be in equilibrium you have to sum all the forces in both directions to zero and to sum the moments to zero. So you are missing something.
berkeman
Apr28-14, 05:36 PM
Mentor
P: 41,135
Quote Quote by Seth.T View Post
You should put it in the homework section of the forum. You will get better responses.
Moved.
Seth.T
Apr29-14, 04:37 AM
P: 25
Berkeman, Kudos to keeping this forum neat :)!

Register to reply