Methods of measuring concentrations of lead

In summary, the conversation is about investigating the concentration of lead in Henna, a traditional Moroccan substance, for an extended essay. Various methods for measuring the concentration of lead are suggested, such as forming a hydroxide and titrating, using lead acetate or carbonate, or using electro-reduction like voltammetry. Another method involves ashing the sample, dissolving it in nitric acid, and using paper impregnated with potassium chromate to observe the yellow spot formed by the insoluble lead chromate. The conversation ends with the suggestion to work out the details for this method and the alternative option of using a water test kit for lead.
L²Cc
Hi,
I will be investigating the concentration of lead in Henna, a traditional moroccan substance we apply to our hands, for my extended essay. In order to do so, I have to derive method(s) by which I can easily measure concentration of lead. If you have any idea, please let me know. Your methods do not have to apply to only henna, it can be anything, like blood, for instance.
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try forming a hydroxide and titrating for that... Or maybe lead acetate or carbonate? I think lead carbonate precipitates in cold water, so you may want to make a solution of henna (we use it in India too), and try to precipitate the lead.

Maybe some form of electro-reduction, like voltammetry?

Thank you very much! Any more ideas?

I would simplify the matrix by ashing the sample and then dissolve it back into strong nitric acid. Boil the nitric to dryness and bring the residue to a standard volume with very pure DI (or distilled) water. Add known amounts of this standard solution to a paper that has been impregnated with potassium chromate and dried. The lead will form an insoluble chromate on the paper. Rinse the paper with DI water to remove the interfering color and observe the yellow spot. The intensity will correlate with the concentration. Rough construction grade white paper works best. If you do not want to go through the trouble of preparing the paper, use a water test kit (strips) for lead.

You will have to work out the details yourself (sample size, standard volume size, test aliquot size, intensity of color vs. concentration, etc...)

Thank you Chemisttree! chaoseverlasting, can you please elaborate on your idea? I'm confused as to how you can determine the concentration of lead by itself, when titration entails finding the amount of acid in a solution (lead acetate)...and so you're not finding the concentration of lead but acid :p

Last edited:

FAQ: Methods of measuring concentrations of lead

1. What is lead concentration and why is it important to measure it?

Lead concentration refers to the amount of lead present in a given substance or environment. It is important to measure lead concentration because lead is a toxic heavy metal that can have harmful effects on human health and the environment.

2. What are the methods used to measure lead concentration?

There are several methods used to measure lead concentration, including atomic absorption spectroscopy, inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, and colorimetric analysis. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific sample and desired accuracy.

3. How accurate are these methods in measuring lead concentration?

The accuracy of the methods used to measure lead concentration depends on various factors, such as the type and complexity of the sample, the equipment and techniques used, and the skill and experience of the analyst. Generally, these methods have a high level of accuracy when performed correctly.

4. Can lead concentration be measured in different types of samples?

Yes, lead concentration can be measured in various types of samples, including air, water, soil, and biological tissues. However, the method and techniques used may vary depending on the type of sample and the amount of lead present.

5. What are the safety precautions for measuring lead concentration?

When measuring lead concentration, it is important to take proper safety precautions to avoid exposure to lead. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal procedures for samples and chemicals.

Back