Scientific American about nanobacteria

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, scientists conducted an experiment using dead, organic materials to determine if nanobacteria were alive. They were attempting to demonstrate if these were reproducing organisms or just mineral crystals, as some nanobacteria have been proven to be alive while others are still debated. Some argue that if mineral crystals can be created to look like nanobacteria, then there is no evidence of life. However, there is also a possibility that microscopic life forms could be made of minerals, raising questions about the origins of life.
ƒ(x)
So, I just read part of an article in Scientific American about nanobacteria. The scientists were trying to determine whether or not the nanobacteria were alive. They approached this task by attempting to emulate the characteristics of the nanos using dead, organic materials. My question is how does that prove anything? Might I add that the compounds they created divided/grew. How do they know that they didn't just create life?

Physics news on Phys.org

Correct that wouldn't prove something was alive.
I suspect what they were trying to demonstrate was wether these were reproducing organisms or just mineral crystals.
Some nanobacteria are definitely alive (at least as far as a virus is) and can be cultured, others in geology are more controversial - they might just be minerals.
If you can create mineral crystals that look just like these nanobacteria then they probably aren't living.

But, my point is how would you know? Life had to start somewhere and on a microscopic scale.

For some of the geological samples there is some dispute whether they are nanobacteria or just crystals (eg on the martian meteorites) if you can make mineral deposits that look just like these things then you have no reason to assume they are life.

I see your point, and am countering by asking why shouldn't you? Why can't microscopic life forms be made of minerals?

Last edited:

1. What are nanobacteria?

Nanobacteria, also known as nanobes, are a type of tiny microorganisms that are smaller than regular bacteria and are often found in extreme environments like hot springs and deep-sea vents.

2. How do nanobacteria differ from regular bacteria?

Nanobacteria are much smaller than regular bacteria, with some measuring only 20 nanometers in diameter. They also have unique physical and chemical properties that set them apart from regular bacteria.

3. What is the current understanding of nanobacteria's role in human health?

There is still ongoing research on the potential role of nanobacteria in human health. Some studies suggest that they may play a role in certain diseases, while others argue that they are simply contaminants in laboratory experiments.

4. Can nanobacteria be used in medical treatments?

There is currently no evidence to support the use of nanobacteria in medical treatments. However, some researchers are exploring the potential of using them in drug delivery systems and as nanosensors for detecting diseases.

5. How can we detect and study nanobacteria?

Nanobacteria are difficult to detect and study due to their small size and unique properties. Some methods used to detect them include electron microscopy, DNA analysis, and culturing in specialized media. However, further research is needed to better understand these organisms.