Mass Motion & Time: Acceleration & Momentum Impact on Measurable Time

In summary: But imagine you're in a black hole, and the event horizon is right in front of you. Then you would be able to see the event horizon, because light would be sucked in and then thrown out again, and you would see a black spot in front of you.
Christov84
Hi Guys,

As I was wondering to the train station the other day I was thinking about gravity bends time and how momentum might also affect this.

Anyways as you guys are really cluey about this so then I ask:

If say I was in a F1 car accelerating or even going at several G's more then resting(say around a really tight corner) would this have a significant impact on time(measurable atleast )?

What i am querying is if gravity generated by acceleration is more significant then moving at a certain constant speed(i.e momentum)?

Cheers

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Christov84 said:
If say I was in a F1 car accelerating or even going at several G's more then resting(say around a really tight corner) would this have a significant impact on time(measurable atleast )?
That is an interesting question. I will have to crunch the numbers, but my initial guess is that with modern atomic clocks you could indeed measure time dilation between the front and back of an accelerating F1 car.

The effect that DalsSpam describes equals ay/c2, where a is the car's acceleration, y is the distance between the front and back of the car, and c is the speed of light. In the driver's frame, this is interpreted as a gravitational time dilation; by the equivalence principle, the acceleration has the same effect as a gravitational field.

The special-relativistic time dilation effect is v2/2c2.

The ratio of the gravitational effect to the SR effect is 2ay/v2. For a race car that's already up to speed, I think this is going to be less than 1, although the two effects are on the same order of magnitude.

However, there is no real reason that y has to be the length of the car. For example, if the driver is looking at distant scenery, y is the distance to the scenery, and you get a Doppler shift that is partly attributable to relativistic time dilation. Here is a nice video showing an animated simulation, in a world where c is small so that the Doppler shift is nonnegligible:

One interesting effect is that you can have an event horizon. I don't think you can see the event horizon in the animated video, because it's behind you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mass Motion & Time: Acceleration & Momentum Impact on Measurable Time

1. What is mass and how does it affect motion?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object. It is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in its motion. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate the object.

2. What is acceleration and how is it related to time?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is related to time through the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This means that the longer the time, the greater the change in velocity and therefore, the greater the acceleration.

3. How does momentum impact measurable time?

Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object's motion. When an object with momentum collides with another object, the momentum is transferred and the time it takes for the collision to occur can affect the measurable time of the objects involved.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and momentum?

The relationship between acceleration and momentum is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F = ma). This means that the greater the acceleration of an object, the greater its momentum will be.

5. How do we measure time in relation to mass motion and momentum?

Time is measured using various tools such as clocks, timers, and stopwatches. In the study of mass motion and momentum, time is often measured in relation to the change in velocity or acceleration of an object. This can be done by recording the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance or the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity.