How do you work out Young's Modulus?

In summary, Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain that results from that stress. It is typically expressed in units of Pascals or Megapascals and can be determined through experimental methods such as tensile testing or bending tests. Young's Modulus is important in engineering and design as it helps in selecting suitable materials for specific applications and predicting their behavior under stress.
Gallows
I am really finding it hard to work out Young's Modulus.

I have my stress / strain graph

I was told I should apply a gradient on the graph to work out youngs modulus

The strain is in (m) and the stress is in (nm-2)

How do I work out the youngs modulus, and what unit of measurement would youngs modulus be in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in Wikipedia. It's a good explanation.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tension or compression.

2. How do you calculate Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain that results from that stress. This can be expressed mathematically as E = σ / ε, where E is Young's Modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain.

3. What units is Young's Modulus measured in?

Young's Modulus is typically expressed in units of Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa). It can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa).

4. How do you determine the Young's Modulus of a material?

The Young's Modulus of a material can be determined through various experimental methods, such as tensile testing or bending tests. These tests involve applying a known amount of stress to a sample of the material and measuring the resulting strain. The Young's Modulus can then be calculated using the formula E = σ / ε.

5. Why is Young's Modulus important?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials as it provides information about their stiffness and ability to withstand stress. It is used in engineering and design to select materials that are suitable for specific applications, as well as to predict how a material will behave under different types of stress.