Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio of Aluminium

In summary, the speaker has been given sets of value and is trying to calculate Young's modulus and Poisson Ratio. They attempted to create a stress vs. strain graph, but it does not resemble a typical graph and is more of a y=x line. The diameter of the rod is 10mm and it is made of aluminium. The speaker is unsure how to use longitudinal and transverse strain for axial strain and tensile stress. They also mention that a strain is not a stress. The speaker is asking for assistance in finding the Poisson ratio and requests that the raw data be provided in a machine-readable form.
EvilMarisa
Homework Statement
Find Young's Modulus and Poisson Ratio of Aluminium from the set of values below
Relevant Equations
Young Modulus = (Axial Strain)/Tensile Stress
Hi. I've been given these sets of value. How do I calculate Young's modulus and Poisson Ratio from these set of value. I tried to create a stress vs strain graph but the graph does not look like a common stress vs strain graph but instead more of a y=x graph.

The diameter of the rod is 10mm and the material of this rod is aluminium. How do I make the longitudinal strain a value such that I can use it for the axial strain and make the transverse strain a value that can be used for the tensile stress?
Screenshot 2020-09-24 212035.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you plot against what?
Please post the graph you obtained and explain in what way you think it does not resemble a stress/strain graph.
What distinction are you making between longitudinal strain and axial strain? Aren't they the same thing?

I don't understand your question about using transverse strain for tensile stress. A strain is not a stress. The bar is being placed under tension, as a result of which it lengthens (longitudinal strain) and narrows (transverse strain).

If you can, please post the raw data in a machine readable form so that others can create graphs from them.
What attempt have you made to find the Poisson ratio?

What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (deformation) in a material under tension or compression.

What is the Poisson Ratio of Aluminium?

The Poisson Ratio of Aluminium is a measure of the ratio of lateral strain to axial strain when a material is compressed or stretched. It is typically between 0.33 and 0.35 for most aluminium alloys.

How is Young's Modulus determined for Aluminium?

Young's Modulus for Aluminium can be determined through tensile testing, where a sample of the material is pulled in opposite directions until it reaches its breaking point. The stress and strain values are then used to calculate the modulus.

What factors can affect Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio of Aluminium?

The composition, microstructure, and temperature of the aluminium can affect both Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also impact these values.

Why are Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio important for Aluminium?

Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio are important for aluminium because they provide crucial information about the material's mechanical properties. These values can help engineers and scientists determine the suitability of aluminium for various applications and design structures that can withstand different types of stress and strain.