Impossible double integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving a double integral in closed form. The group suggests using polar coordinates to evaluate the integral. The process of converting to polar coordinates is explained, and the three resulting integrals are given. The conversation ends with pasmith stating that they were able to solve the integrals.
mabauti
is there a closed form solution for this double integral?

[itex]\int^{2}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int^{3}_{4}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+4x^{2}+4y^{2}}dydx[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
mabauti said:
is there a closed form solution for this double integral?

[itex]\int^{2}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int^{3}_{4}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+4x^{2}+4y^{2}}dydx[/itex]

Have you tried polar coordinates?

Exactly what do you mean by "closed form solution"? Since a limits of integration are numbers, the integral is, of course, a single number, which is about as "closed form" as you can get! But I expect that you are asking about a method of finding that number, which is a different matter.

As jedishrfu said, seeing that [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex], I would try polar coordinates. Of course, the fact that the region of integration is a rectangle rather than a disk complicates things!

As the "[itex]\theta[/itex]" line sweeps up from the x-axis ([itex]\theta= 0[/itex]) it first touches the rectangle at (2, 3) (slope 3/2), then at the point (2, 4) (slope 2), then (1, 3) (slope 3), and finally at (1, 4) (slope 4). That gives three intervals, [itex]\theta= arctan(3/2)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(2)[/itex], [itex]\theta= arctan(2)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(3)[/itex], and [itex]\theta= arctan(3)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(4)[/itex] on which the ray enters and leaves the rectangle through different edges.

For [itex]\theta= arctan(3/2)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(2)[/itex], the ray enters the rectangle through the bottom, [itex]y= r sin(\theta)= 3[/itex] (so [itex]r= 3/sin(\theta)= 3 csc(\theta)[/itex]) and leaves through the right side, [itex]x= rcos(\theta)= 2[/itex] (so [itex]r= 2/cos(\theta)=2 sec(\theta)[/itex]. That integral will be
[tex]\int_{arctan(3/2)}^{arctan(2)}\int_{3csc(\theta)}^{2sec(\theta)}\sqrt{1+4r^2} rdrd\theta[/tex].

For [itex]\theta= arctan(2)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(3)[/itex], the ray enters the rectangle through the bottom and leaves through top, [itex]y= r sin(\theta)= 4[/itex] (so [itex]r= 4/sin(\theta)= 4 csc(\theta)[/itex]). That integral will be
[tex]\int_{arctan(2)}^{arctan(3)}\int_{3csc(\theta)}^{4csc(\theta)}\sqrt{1+4r^2} rdrd\theta[/tex].

Finally, for [itex]\theta= arctan(3)[/itex] to [itex]arctan(4)[/itex], the ray enters the rectangle through the left edge, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)= 1[/itex] (so [itex]r= 1/cos(\theta)= sec(\theta)[/itex]). That integral will be
[tex]\int_{arctan(3)}^{arctan(4)}\int_{3sec(\theta)}^{4csc(\theta)}\sqrt{1+4r^2} rdrd\theta[/tex].

Now, can you do those integrals? Would you consider that "closed form"?

Likes 1 person
@ jedishrfu : I tried , but I couldn't figure out the intervals for theta/r

@ HallsofIvy: it worked, I can figure out the intervals for theta, but not for r. Thanks :)

mabauti said:
@ jedishrfu : I tried , but I couldn't figure out the intervals for theta/r

@ HallsofIvy: it worked, I can figure out the intervals for theta, but not for r. Thanks :)

The limits of the r integral are functions of theta, so you have to do the r integral before the theta integral. And the r integral is straightforward: substitute [itex]u = 1 + 4r^2[/itex].

??

I did solve the integrals.

pasmith: could you elaborate please?

What is an impossible double integral?

An impossible double integral is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve in two dimensions. It is called "impossible" because it cannot be solved using traditional integration methods.

Why is it impossible?

An impossible double integral is impossible to solve because there is no analytical solution. This means that it cannot be solved using traditional methods of integration such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

What are some examples of impossible double integrals?

One example of an impossible double integral is the integral of e^(x^2) from 0 to 1. Another example is the integral of sin(x)/x from 0 to infinity.

Is there a way to solve impossible double integrals?

While impossible double integrals cannot be solved using traditional methods, there are numerical methods that can be used to approximate the solution. These methods include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature.

Why are impossible double integrals important?

Impossible double integrals are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they often arise in real-world problems. They also serve as a challenging mathematical problem that helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.