Does the orientation you evaluate line integrals matter?

In summary, the line integral will change sign if evaluated in the opposite direction. For Green's Theorem and Stokes's Theorem, the orientation of the path or surface must be correct for the theorem to hold. In Green's Theorem, the path must be oriented so that the area is to the left, while in Stokes's Theorem, the surface must have a normal vector pointing in the direction of the boundary curve's orientation.
ainster31
rTf1iaC.png

If instead of evaluating the above line integral in counter-clockwise direction, I evaluate it via the clockwise direction, would that change the answer? What if I evaluate ##C_1## and ##C_3## in the counter-clockwise direction, but I evaluate ##C_2## in the clockwise direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sure will. Can you say how it will affect the answer? Think Green's Theorem.

SteamKing said:
It sure will. Can you say how it will affect the answer? Think Green's Theorem.

It will be the negative.

If the direction does matter, in which direction would I evaluate the below line integral?

cbxIR.png

ainster31 said:
What if I evaluate ##C_1## and ##C_3## in the counter-clockwise direction, but I evaluate ##C_2## in the clockwise direction?

You would get nonsense.

Actually, it doesn't even make sense to talk about integrating part of a closed path "counter-clockwise" or "clockwise". Where is the center of the "clock face", if you don't have a complete closed path?

I just asked Dr. Martín Argerami. Here is his response:

Direction does not matter for the line integral of a function, but here you are dealing with a work integral (i.e. the integral of a vector field along the curve). In the latter case, orientation does matter.

The statement of Green's Theorem includes (or it should, to make sense) the orientation required for the equality to hold. The orientation for the curve is the one that leaves to region R to your left as you traverse the curve.

Is this right or wrong? It seems to me like the line integral always changes sign when I evaluate in another direction.

ainster, it does always change sign when you evaluate in the opposite direction. For intuition think about one dimensional integrals, and
[tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx = - \int_{b}^{a} f(x) dx, [/tex]

which is an example of a line integral over a function which is reversed in direction.

ainster31 said:
I just asked Dr. Martín Argerami. Here is his response:

Direction does not matter for the line integral of a function, but here you are dealing with a work integral (i.e. the integral of a vector field along the curve). In the latter case, orientation does matter.

The statement of Green's Theorem includes (or it should, to make sense) the orientation required for the equality to hold. The orientation for the curve is the one that leaves to region R to your left as you traverse the curve.

Is this right or wrong? It seems to me like the line integral always changes sign when I evaluate in another direction.

It's neither right nor wrong but imprecise ;-)).

Of course, the direction of the path (or the orientation of a closed path) in a line integral matters, because the integral flips its sign when you change the direction/orientiation.

In Stokes's Theorem (or in Green's Theorem in the two-dimensional case) the correct relative orientation of the area and the path matters. For Stokes's Theorem in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] you can chose the orientation of the surface arbitrary, i.e., you make an aribtrary choice of the direction of your surface-normal vector field (i.e., you make it point to the one or the other side of the surface). Then for Stokes's Theorem to hold in its standard form, the closed boundary curve of the surface must be oriented in the sense of the right-hand rule, i.e., pointing with the thumb of the right hand in direction of the surface-normal vectors, your fingers curl in the direction of the boundary curve's orientation.

For Green's Theorem in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] the orientation of the boundary curve is such that if you walk along the curve you always have the area to your left.

Of course, Green's Theorem can be seen as a special case of Stokes's Theorem of a vector field in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] with only field components in [itex]x[/itex]- and [itex]y[/itex]-direction and depending only on the coordinates [itex](x,y)[/itex] (expressed in terms of Cartesian Coordinates).

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It is often used in physics and engineering to measure work, force, and energy along a specific path.

2. How does the orientation affect line integrals?

The orientation of a line integral determines the direction in which the function is being evaluated along the curve. This can affect the final value of the integral as the direction of integration changes the sign of the integral.

3. Can the orientation of a line integral be changed?

Yes, the orientation of a line integral can be changed by reversing the direction of the curve or by swapping the limits of integration. This will result in a different value for the line integral.

4. Does the orientation of a line integral matter in all cases?

No, the orientation of a line integral only matters for certain types of integrals, such as path integrals or line integrals along closed curves. For other types of integrals, such as surface or volume integrals, the orientation does not affect the final value.

5. How can I determine the correct orientation for a line integral?

The correct orientation for a line integral depends on the specific problem and the direction in which the function is being evaluated. In some cases, it may be given in the problem or can be determined by the context. If not, it is important to carefully consider the direction of the curve and the limits of integration to determine the correct orientation.