Contractors for LHC: Learn About CERN Turnarounds

• Thread starter fonz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lhc
In summary, the conversation discusses the latest LHC shutdown and upgrades, as well as the speaker's experience working in various industries as an instrument designer. They express interest in learning about how CERN manages and implements turnarounds and ask if CERN operates similarly to the oil and gas industry in terms of contracting companies for engineering and construction. The speaker sees this as a potential opportunity for career development in instrumentation.
fonz
I have just been reading about the latest LHC shutdown and the upgrades and tests being carried out.

I currently work in the oil & gas industry as an instrument designer having previously worked in petrochemical, pharmaceuticals, ammunitions manufacturing, food and beverage plus more. I like to switch industries every so often just to try and cover the full spectrum of engineering. Actually what is interesting is that despite the production and process differences the instrumentation generally doesn't tend to vary a great deal or at least the measurement principles don't of course.

I would be interested to know how CERN operate in terms of managing and implementing their turnarounds. I've been trying to find out myself which companies were contracted to build the LHC and who the principle engineering and design contractors were for the project (I assume it wasn't CERN engineers alone). In the Oil and Gas industry generally the big oil companies offer E&C (engineering & construction) contracts to companies such as Petrofac, Amec, Wood Group PSN etc. which is how I made my debut in the industry. Does anybody know if CERN operate in a similar way?

If so I might make some enquiries because in terms of career development in instrumentation this would be a massive opportunity.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd suggest starting here.

What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and what is its purpose?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator located at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) in Switzerland. Its purpose is to accelerate and collide particles at extremely high energies, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe and explore unanswered questions about the laws of physics.

What is a CERN turnaround and why is it important?

A CERN turnaround is when the LHC is shut down for maintenance and upgrades to improve its performance. These turnarounds typically occur every 18-24 months and can last for several months. They are important because they allow for necessary repairs and upgrades to keep the LHC running smoothly and safely, as well as allowing for new experiments to be conducted.

What role do contractors play in the LHC turnaround process?

Contractors play a crucial role in the LHC turnaround process. They are responsible for carrying out the necessary repairs and upgrades during the shutdown period. They also work closely with the scientists and engineers at CERN to ensure that the LHC is functioning properly and meeting all safety standards.

What qualifications are required to become a contractor for the LHC?

To become a contractor for the LHC, one must have a strong background in engineering, physics, or a related field. They must also have experience working with large-scale projects and be knowledgeable about the specific equipment and technology used at the LHC. Additionally, contractors must undergo safety training and adhere to strict safety protocols while working on the site.

What are some of the challenges faced by contractors during the LHC turnaround process?

Some of the challenges faced by contractors during the LHC turnaround process include working with advanced technology and equipment, meeting tight deadlines, and adhering to strict safety protocols. They must also work closely with scientists and engineers to ensure that all repairs and upgrades are carried out correctly and do not interfere with ongoing experiments or future research.