Engineer switching from Mechanical to Marine

In summary, the individual in this conversation is interested in transitioning to become an engineer officer of the watch at sea. They have a degree in mechanical engineering and 2 years of experience in a related industry. They are seeking advice, preferably from a UK perspective, on how to make this transition. They have been advised to gain sea experience as a junior engineer and then apply to a maritime school to obtain a competency certificate. However, they are currently residing in New Zealand and are unsure if this is the best path for them. They are also considering reaching out directly to companies, but are concerned about finding vacancies for their specific situation. The government has released guidelines and resources for those interested in becoming qualified as a merchant mariner.
lazypast
Hi, I've had a longstanding interest in working at sea. The prospect of working as an engineer at sea is quite an exciting one. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and 2 years (non relevant) experience in design and manufacture in the oil and gas industry.

Im just wondering if it's possible to switch over to become a engineer officer of the watch. Advice from a UK perspective would be ideal. But to make things a little less simple I'm currently residing in New Zealand and the advice I have just received here is to gain sea experience as a junior engineer then to apply to a maritime school to get a competency certificate. As a junior engineer I wouldn't need an STCW.

I could write directly to each company explaining my situation. But I doubt I'll ever see a vacancy for someone in my position. The vacancies are either seafarer, fully certified by a maritime school, or a cadet who just has qualifications from high school. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
lazypast said:
Hi, I've had a longstanding interest in working at sea. The prospect of working as an engineer at sea is quite an exciting one. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and 2 years (non relevant) experience in design and manufacture in the oil and gas industry.

Im just wondering if it's possible to switch over to become a engineer officer of the watch. Advice from a UK perspective would be ideal. But to make things a little less simple I'm currently residing in New Zealand and the advice I have just received here is to gain sea experience as a junior engineer then to apply to a maritime school to get a competency certificate. As a junior engineer I wouldn't need an STCW.

I could write directly to each company explaining my situation. But I doubt I'll ever see a vacancy for someone in my position. The vacancies are either seafarer, fully certified by a maritime school, or a cadet who just has qualifications from high school. Any advice would be appreciated.

HM Government has issued instructions on how to become qualified as a merchant mariner:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-seafarer-careers-training-provision-and-information

This site also has syllabi for instruction and sample exams to review.

Likes Ben Espen

What is the difference between mechanical and marine engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems such as engines, machines, and tools. Marine engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of marine vessels and structures.

Why would someone switch from mechanical to marine engineering?

There are several reasons why someone may choose to switch from mechanical to marine engineering. Some may have a passion for ships and boats, while others may be interested in the unique challenges posed by marine environments. Some may also find better job opportunities or higher salaries in the marine engineering field.

What skills and knowledge are transferable between these two fields?

Both mechanical and marine engineering require a strong foundation in math, physics, and engineering principles. Many skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are also transferable. Additionally, knowledge of materials, manufacturing processes, and computer-aided design (CAD) can be applied in both fields.

What are the job prospects for a mechanical engineer switching to marine engineering?

The job prospects for a mechanical engineer switching to marine engineering are generally good. The demand for marine engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, with opportunities in shipbuilding, offshore oil and gas, and renewable energy industries. Additionally, mechanical engineers have a strong technical background that can be applied to marine engineering roles.

Are there any challenges or limitations for a mechanical engineer transitioning to marine engineering?

There may be some challenges for a mechanical engineer transitioning to marine engineering, such as learning new regulations and standards specific to the maritime industry. They may also need to acquire knowledge and skills related to marine systems, such as propulsion systems, marine structures, and naval architecture. However, with dedication and a strong desire to learn, these challenges can be overcome.