Charges on spherical conductors

In summary, when a charge is placed on a spherical conductor of radius r1 and connected to a distant sphere of radius r2, both spheres will have the same potential in equilibrium, even though the amount of charge distributed on them may differ. This is because the surface charge density on the two spheres will be equal.
cuppy
A charge is placed on a speherical conductor of radius r1. this sphere is then connected to a distant sphere of radius r2 (not equal to r1) by a conducting wire. after the charges on the spheres are in equilibrium...

is it reasonable to say that both spheres are at the same potential? regardless of the different radii

C=Q/V so i think the amount of charge distributed on both speheres will differ but the potential will still be the same since the spheres are in equilibrium.

i don't know i don't really understand the concept very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the concept that you want is that the surface charge density on the two spheres will be equal.

I can confirm that it is reasonable to say that both spheres will have the same potential after the charges have reached equilibrium. This is because the potential of a conductor is determined by its shape and size, not the amount of charge on it. In this scenario, the potential of the first sphere will be determined by its radius r1 and the potential of the second sphere will be determined by its radius r2. The charges will distribute themselves on each sphere in a way that ensures both spheres have the same potential. This is due to the nature of electric fields and the principle of equilibrium, where charges will redistribute themselves until the potential is the same throughout the system. Therefore, even though the amount of charge on each sphere may differ, the potential will be the same.

1. What is a spherical conductor?

A spherical conductor is a material or object that allows for the free flow of electric charges within it. This means that the charges can move around easily and redistribute themselves.

2. How do charges behave on spherical conductors?

Charges on spherical conductors behave in a way that they distribute themselves evenly on the surface of the conductor. This is because the charges repel each other and try to maintain a state of equilibrium.

3. What is the effect of adding a charge on a spherical conductor?

Adding a charge on a spherical conductor will cause the charges to redistribute themselves on the surface of the conductor, with the highest concentration of charges being on the surface closest to the added charge.

4. How does the amount of charge affect the electric field around a spherical conductor?

The amount of charge on a spherical conductor directly affects the strength of the electric field around it. The higher the charge, the stronger the electric field will be.

5. Can a spherical conductor have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a spherical conductor can have a net charge of zero if the total amount of positive charges is equal to the total amount of negative charges. This is known as a neutral conductor.