Pit Bull Attack in Park: Owner Responds with Cursing

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, while walking his two dogs in the park, the speaker was attacked by a free running pit bull. He was able to kick the dog and avoid injury. The owner of the dog initially berated the speaker but eventually calmed down. The speaker called animal control and the owner had a conversation with law enforcement. The conversation then shifts to discussing experiences with aggressive dogs and how to defend oneself in such a situation.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday while walking my 2 medium to small dogs in the park we were attacked by a free running pit bull. Fortunately I was able to land a size 13 on the back side of the dog just as it was biting at my dog's (Riki) upper hind leg. The owner had just got out of his car with 2 Pitts and a Shepard mix. One of the pits was chasing a ball while the other 2 dogs made a bee line for me and my 2 timid lap dogs. Fortunately no one was hurt.

During the attack the owner was several hundred feet away, he immediately began cursing at me for kicking his dog! In retrospect I see that the closer he got to me the calmer he got. 6'3" 240lb (190cm 110kg) does that sometimes. After a bit of shouting I went home and called animal control. We do have leash laws here, all dogs are supposed to be leashed,

One of the other old duffers who walks his lap dog in he park frequently carries a club just for this reason, I sort of smiled at that as a weird quirk, no more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:
210kg

You may want to correct that typo :smile:

Borek said:

Integral, my friend, you are quite large. Good thing you kicked that dog though; didn't it try to attack you after you hit it or no?

Borek said:

What's a 100kg between friends! Thanks :)

Sorry! said:
Integral, my friend, you are quite large. Good thing you kicked that dog though; didn't it try to attack you after you hit it or no?

About that time the rather irate owner managed to get its attention. I still can't believe the guy, instead of apologizing for letting his dog run wild, he berated me for kicking his dog. That is what earned him the talk with law enforcement.

Integral said:
Yesterday while walking my 2 medium to small dogs in the park we were attacked by a free running pit bull. Fortunately I was able to land a size 13 on the back side of the dog just as it was biting at my dog's (Riki) upper hind leg. The owner had just got out of his car with 2 Pitts and a Shepard mix. One of the pits was chasing a ball while the other 2 dogs made a bee line for me and my 2 timid lap dogs. Fortunately no one was hurt.

During the attack the owner was several hundred feet away, he immediately began cursing at me for kicking his dog! In retrospect I see that the closer he got to me the calmer he got. 6'3" 240lb (190cm 110kg) does that sometimes. After a bit of shouting I went home and called animal control.
I would have done the same thing, and if a dog persists in attacking, I'd break it's neck and/or lower jaw.

What the heck is wrong with those people who let their aggressive dogs loose in the community?

I had a German shepard guard dog go after my leg once. I just pivoted and used a hammer blow to the side of his head. He turned and took off. I was about 14 at the time - but I was reading to fight him.

Astronuc said:
I would have done the same thing, and if a dog persists in attacking, I'd break it's neck and/or lower jaw.

What the heck is wrong with those people who let their aggressive dogs loose in the community?

I had a German shepard guard dog go after my leg once. I just pivoted and used a hammer blow to the side of his head. He turned and took off. I was about 14 at the time - but I was reading to fight him.

I've always wondered how easy it would be to do this while a dog was in 'attack mode'. I mean like when I'm around dogs I feel like if they decided to attack me at some point I could easily kick their face maybe grab their neck or something... but I don't know my gut feeling tells me it wouldn't turn out so great for me.

Sorry! said:
I've always wondered how easy it would be to do this while a dog was in 'attack mode'. I mean like when I'm around dogs I feel like if they decided to attack me at some point I could easily kick their face maybe grab their neck or something... but I don't know my gut feeling tells me it wouldn't turn out so great for me.
I had been attacked by dogs in the past. During university I used to play with a friends Doberman who like to come at me, so I developed a technique of learning to pivot and catching her. Since then, I've had training in Tae Kwon Do and a little Shao lin Kempo.

I have faced off several large dogs which have approached us aggressively. That is I just get in front of the dog and stand my ground with confidence (per Caesar Milan), usually this does the trick. This time there were 2 dogs and they circled us much like a pack on the attack. So I was unable to get front of either of them.

Astronuc said:
I was about 14 at the time - but I was reading to fight him.

Sorry! said:

Then you've been reading the wrong material.

Actually, you have to be a little lucky to escape some serious damage if you get in a fight with a large animal with sharp teeth. Just like the sign at our city park warns - if a mountain lion attacks your pet, let go of the leash!

It's not even about letting an "aggressive" dog loose, but any dog should be kept on a leash. You never know what might trigger them to run or get into a fight, and the only way to guarantee you have control is to have them on a leash. They make those really long retractable leashes for just that purpose, that you can give them freedom to exercise without letting them off-lead.

You're VERY lucky Integral! That dog could have just as easily turned around and taken a chunk of your leg when you kicked it!

I'm glad you called animal control on them. That sort of irresponsible behavior on the part of the owner doesn't bode well...letting the dogs run loose, and then getting mad at YOU after the dog tried to attack your dog?! Makes you wish you could have planted a size 13 on the backside of the owner, doesn't it? :mad:

Sorry! said:

Every time I see someone kicking and hitting a dog to make it stop attacking their dog, it just doesn't seem to phase the dog. It just keeps biting and biting and ignoring the blows. Maybe they're not kicking it hard enough.
I drove past a guy who was hitting this dog that was attacking his dog. He was hitting it and screaming at it and as I got close to it, he finally got it to stop. Then I look in my rear view mirror and the dog had went back to biting his dog, so he was freaking out, kicking and punching the dog. I don't know what happened. It was on the other side of a 4 lane road, so I wasn't in a good place to stop and help. I would've put the dog in a rear naked choke and put it to sleep.

Good thing you were on the alert, Integral. I'd sure hate to see my dog get hurt.

There is a couple not far from here that have a couple of Springer spaniels, and the older dog is quite aggressive and territorial. They both work and the kids are away all day with school, sports, church-group activities, etc so the dogs are hooked up on runs outside every day with no companionship or stimulation. You wouldn't normally consider a Springer a very menacing dog, but when the male manages to slip his collar he runs at my dog snarling with teeth bared, trying to get in a sneak attack while I'm restraining Duke. Certainly not very sporting behavior, but I don't want to let go of Duke's leash if the Springer wants to mix it up, because Duke has massive jaws and could easily kill the Springer. Not good.

We have bought Duke a number of toys since rescuing him from the shelter. The only one he didn't destroy immediately was a solid-rubber Pup Treads Bone. The "dog-proof" extra heavy tennis balls from Tractor Supply are not Duke-proof. He simply crushed the first one in less than 30 seconds, so we gave the other ball to the shepherd-pit mix down the road.

Moonbear said:
It's not even about letting an "aggressive" dog loose, but any dog should be kept on a leash. You never know what might trigger them to run or get into a fight, and the only way to guarantee you have control is to have them on a leash. They make those really long retractable leashes for just that purpose, that you can give them freedom to exercise without letting them off-lead.

You're VERY lucky Integral! That dog could have just as easily turned around and taken a chunk of your leg when you kicked it!

I'm glad you called animal control on them. That sort of irresponsible behavior on the part of the owner doesn't bode well...letting the dogs run loose, and then getting mad at YOU after the dog tried to attack your dog?! Makes you wish you could have planted a size 13 on the backside of the owner, doesn't it? :mad:

Yes I and my dogs were very lucky. I can still see that dogs mouth closing on Riki's leg. Not sure how or why we avoided a bad bite. My kick, Riki's long smooth fur?? Maybe the Pit was not really intending to hurt anyone??

I am responsible for the safety of my dogs, much as if they are small children I will but myself between them and danger. Considering the hazards to myself only after the action.

I was disappointed when the officer told me later that he has only given a verbal warning. The dog owner claimed that he is moving to Idaho so will not be in town any longer.

There is another law he was in violation of, according to city law you can only have 2 dogs, this guy had three. Of course when the officer showed up on our doorstep, Partial grabbed, Galinda, our 3rd unregistered dog and headed for the bedroom!

I had a good friend in seattle who owned a female pit bull. The thing was a super sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly on purpose. However... the animal was terrifyingly powerful. Anytime I'd play tug a war with it i'd be lucky to come back with all my fingers. I would flip my **** if an aggressive pitbull came after one of my pets. About leashes... quite often where I live i'll see an average women walking a pitbull or rottweiler and think, if that dog wants to take off, there is no way this lady can hold it back.

i am guessing the pit bull never showed any aggression towards you. it may have even cowered when you scolded it. they were originally bred to be very dog-aggressive and very people-friendly.

I just read a good article in my JEMS magazine (EMS stuff) about dealing with dogs. They recommend carrying the small air horns that are commonly used in boating. They say you can get them at sporting good stores, although I haven't looked yet. The one pictured in the article fit in the person's hand, so it didn't look too obtrusive to carry in your jacket or fanny pack if you were out with your dog. Apparently they are quite effective in discouraging an attack, and can also break up dog fights. Think I'll get one for my EMT jump bag...

Greg Bernhardt said:
I had a good friend in seattle who owned a female pit bull. The thing was a super sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly on purpose. However... the animal was terrifyingly powerful.
Same story with our lab-boxer mix, Duke. He gets lot of exercise and has packed on the muscles since we brought him home in September. He is very sweet and gentle (especially with the fire-chief's tiny Pomeranian and with children) but he is extremely powerful. The Springer pulled his sneak-attack routine yesterday when my wife was taking Duke to visit his doggie friend farther up the road, and she couldn't hold onto him - she managed to keep hold of the leash, but he was hauling her around. He's only 52 pounds, but it's all bone and muscle (and the Jaws of Death).

Greg Bernhardt said:
I had a good friend in seattle who owned a female pit bull. The thing was a super sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly on purpose. However... the animal was terrifyingly powerful. Anytime I'd play tug a war with it i'd be lucky to come back with all my fingers. I would flip my **** if an aggressive pitbull came after one of my pets. About leashes... quite often where I live i'll see an average women walking a pitbull or rottweiler and think, if that dog wants to take off, there is no way this lady can hold it back.

Yeah, I see kids, women walking dogs that if the dog decided to run all they could do is bounce along at the end of the leash. The dogs I walk total less then 50lbs, I pretty much decide where they go no matter what...

Well actually, sometimes, little Meja will dig in and insist on deciding which way to go. I am reluctant to drag her too far. :))

berkeman said:
I just read a good article in my JEMS magazine (EMS stuff) about dealing with dogs. They recommend carrying the small air horns that are commonly used in boating. They say you can get them at sporting good stores, although I haven't looked yet. The one pictured in the article fit in the person's hand, so it didn't look too obtrusive to carry in your jacket or fanny pack if you were out with your dog. Apparently they are quite effective in discouraging an attack, and can also break up dog fights. Think I'll get one for my EMT jump bag...

This sounds like a very good idea, I'll look into it.

I saw a video of a cop shooting an attacking dog. I know the dog was hit, but he attacked again anyway.
But this time all it took to deter this animal was for the cop to raise his gun. BF Skinner would have been proud! :)

Pepper spray usually works and it is widely available.

edward said:
Pepper spray usaully works and it is widely available.

Yeah, my wife was talking about that as well, however this attack devloped so fast that by the time I could have got pepper spray out I would have had to spray my dog as well.

Integral said:
Yeah, my wife was talking about that as well, however this attack devloped so fast that by the time I could have got pepper spray out I would have had to spray my dog as well.
There could be unwanted results for you too. If you are out on a windy, gusty day (we live on a big hill, so we get wind a lot) and some mist from the spray blows back in your eyes, you may still have to be dealing with an aggressive dog, but now with your eyes welling with tears. Not good.

I've been looking for the mini-air horns and there is one that is only 3" overall. Pretty tiny. I don't know how effective it might be against the sneaky Springer, because over the course of his life, he has had cases of 12 ga magnum loads touched off around him, and the male owner and his two boys routinely target practice with very loud rifles (.30-06 and .270 are favorites of theirs) not too far from the dogs' runs.

Pitbull attacking unprovoked? Kill it, then throw the corpse at the owner.

I won't even tell you what I carry in my neighborhood. I'm with drankin on this one, we have gangs of dogs that run as a pack here, it can get scary quick.

Oh air horns that's a pretty good idea actually. And yeah I never had read up on attacking dogs they just seem 'weak' when you don't see them in the nature attacking something. But I just have the strangest gut feeling that it wouldn't be that simple when it happens. Watching a lot of national geographic and the like have shown to me that when animals are in their frenzied attack mode they will take sharpened horns to the stomach piercing their insides yet still continue the attack... I can only be led to assume a dog would do the same.

Back when I was in junior high, I had to teach a threatening dog that it should never mess with a paper boy. "I've got a full bag of ammo, babe, so bring it if you want!"

Only took one. I was precise with a newspaper - only the poor tippers wound up with a paper on the roof. That dog always kept its distance after that morning.

hypatia said:
I won't even tell you what I carry in my neighborhood. I'm with drankin on this one, we have gangs of dogs that run as a pack here, it can get scary quick.

I own a dog and if it attacked someone/something unprovoked, I'd put it down on the spot and apologize/compensate the victim just as quick. There is no excuse for having a pet like that off the leash, let alone complaining to someone else that had to kick it off their property (the legal definition for your pet).

I think I have the most behaved dog on the planet, BTW. :)

BobG said:
Back when I was in junior high, I had to teach a threatening dog that it should never mess with a paper boy. "I've got a full bag of ammo, babe, so bring it if you want!"

Only took one. I was precise with a newspaper - only the poor tippers wound up with a paper on the roof. That dog always kept its distance after that morning.
When I had a paper-route as a kid, there was an old couple at the end of a dead-end road that had a pair of spaniels that were sneaky double-teamers. I resorted to cutting a nice heavy straight stick of striped maple (HEAVY wood!) and I would keep it stashed by the road-side. Think Robin-Hood staves... It took me only one session of smartening them both up. I'd use the stave as a walking stick after that (just on that section of road) and the dogs never bothered me again - they would bark and threaten, but would never get within reach of my stick. I didn't want to have to resort to that, but the dogs were not properly socialized and were way too aggressive.

At the other end of town, there was an old lady that raised Dobermans. I was the only kid hired to deliver our town reports for several years because I was the only one that dared to step foot on her property. She always gave me a hard time about bothering her with a town report (very grim nasty old lady) but after a few years she got used to me, and probably respected me because I dared turn my back on her pack of hounds as I left. Her nearest neighbor was at least 1/2 mile away and her son and later inhabitants of that property were... let's say secretive and unsavory.

LOL, the paperboy stories brought back some memories. I was dog attacked twice. once by something huge, like a Great Dane, he bent down to nip me on t he hip. The other time a pack of Silkies poured out from under a garage door open 3", and one nipped my ankle.

It is too bad that so many dogs get punished and even put down because they have a irresponsible owner.

In the park where I volunteered for over 18 years, I got to know a retired Colonel who was authoritative yet kind, but experienced an sad incident when he was walking his toy dog. Some jerks let their large dogs off leash, which attacked the toy and killed it. They left the scene in a hurry and without any remorse, but unfortunately the Colonel didn't have enough information to pursue these transgressors.

Loren Booda said:
In the park where I volunteered for over 18 years, I got to know a retired Colonel who was authoritative yet kind, but experienced an sad incident when he was walking his toy dog. Some jerks let their large dogs off leash, which attacked the toy and killed it. They left the scene in a hurry and without any remorse, but unfortunately the Colonel didn't have enough information to pursue these transgressors.

After reporting the attack, I jumped on my bike and headed back to the park just to be there when animal control showed up so I could direct them to the correct dogs. While I was waiting an old couple with their yippy Toy Poodle and a mini dust mop showed up, the old man uses a cane and the lady just hobbles along, she can barely hold back the Poodle. Nice people, I have talked to them several times. I hate to think what would have happened if they had been the victims of the attack. I am still way more upset at the jerk, irresponsible owner then the dog.

Integral said:
I am still way more upset at the jerk, irresponsible owner then the dog.

Dogs don't kill people, people kill people?

<h2>1. What caused the pit bull attack in the park?</h2><p>The cause of the pit bull attack in the park could be due to a variety of factors including the dog's genetics, training, and socialization. It is important for dog owners to properly train and socialize their dogs to prevent aggressive behavior.</p><h2>2. Was the owner aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies?</h2><p>It is not possible to determine if the owner was aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies without further information. However, it is the responsibility of all dog owners to be aware of their dog's behavior and take necessary precautions to prevent any harm to others.</p><h2>3. How should the owner have responded to the attack?</h2><p>The owner should have immediately taken control of their dog and made sure that the victim received proper medical attention. They should also have apologized and taken responsibility for their dog's actions, rather than responding with cursing.</p><h2>4. What can be done to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future?</h2><p>To prevent similar incidents, it is important for all dog owners to properly train and socialize their dogs, as well as keep them on a leash in public areas. It is also important for individuals to report any aggressive or concerning behavior from dogs to the proper authorities.</p><h2>5. What are the legal consequences for the owner of the pit bull?</h2><p>The legal consequences for the owner of the pit bull may vary depending on the severity of the attack and the laws in the specific area. In some cases, the owner may face fines or even criminal charges. They may also be held financially responsible for any damages or injuries caused by their dog.</p>

1. What caused the pit bull attack in the park?

The cause of the pit bull attack in the park could be due to a variety of factors including the dog's genetics, training, and socialization. It is important for dog owners to properly train and socialize their dogs to prevent aggressive behavior.

2. Was the owner aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies?

It is not possible to determine if the owner was aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies without further information. However, it is the responsibility of all dog owners to be aware of their dog's behavior and take necessary precautions to prevent any harm to others.

3. How should the owner have responded to the attack?

The owner should have immediately taken control of their dog and made sure that the victim received proper medical attention. They should also have apologized and taken responsibility for their dog's actions, rather than responding with cursing.

4. What can be done to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future?

To prevent similar incidents, it is important for all dog owners to properly train and socialize their dogs, as well as keep them on a leash in public areas. It is also important for individuals to report any aggressive or concerning behavior from dogs to the proper authorities.

5. What are the legal consequences for the owner of the pit bull?

The legal consequences for the owner of the pit bull may vary depending on the severity of the attack and the laws in the specific area. In some cases, the owner may face fines or even criminal charges. They may also be held financially responsible for any damages or injuries caused by their dog.

Back