Need help choosing career path

In summary, the person is considering between getting a PhD in physics and a degree in engineering or vice versa. They are seeking advice on which path to take based on their interests and future research goals. Some suggest getting an undergraduate degree in the preferred subject before pursuing a PhD in the other field.
PanderaFlame
Hello, well i am contemplating whether i should get a Phd in physics and a degree in engineering or a PhD in engineering and a degree in physics. Can you help me? Also can i have some reasoning too.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you should figure out or state, why do you want to get a PhD? To do research? What kind of research? Get the PhD that will lead you to the research you want to do.

Get a PhD in engineering if you want to do engineering research. Get a PhD in physics to do physics research.
:rolleyes:

I can see where both of you are getting at but this is how it goes, i like building things and running experiments research for a thesis sounds good for engineering but i also really like physics I've been going to and fro in my mind for ages so i just need some other opinions.

how about applied physics?

I'd say its probably easier to get an undergrad in physics and then a PhD in engineering (you'd have to do a masters in engineering before hand most likely). However, I recommend just getting through your undergrad in whichever subject you like more, then going from there. And EE is probably the best engineering undergrad if you think you MAY want to go into pure physics later.

What factors should I consider when choosing a career path?

There are several things to consider when choosing a career path. Some important factors include your personal interests and strengths, job market demand and growth potential, work-life balance, and salary and benefits.

How can I determine my skills and interests?

One way to determine your skills and interests is to take career assessments or personality tests. You can also reflect on your past experiences and hobbies to identify what you excel at and what you enjoy doing.

What resources can I use to explore different career options?

There are many resources available to help you explore different career options. These include career counseling services, job shadowing or informational interviews, online job databases, and career exploration websites.

Should I choose a career based on salary or passion?

It ultimately depends on your personal priorities and goals. Some people prioritize finding a high-paying job, while others prioritize pursuing their passions. It's important to find a balance that aligns with your values and long-term career satisfaction.

Is it okay to change career paths?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to change career paths at any point in your life. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives, and it is never too late to pursue a new passion or interest. Just make sure to thoroughly research and plan your transition to ensure a smooth and successful change.