How to distinguish two isotopes?

• Thread starter paul-g
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isotopes
In summary: If the activity is high then the isotopes are close to each other in temperature.In summary, a layer of absorbing radiation can be used to identify plutonium-238 and plutonium-242 if they are in the form of spheres with the same radii and weight. If the radiation is blocked by a lead coating, another method must be used to identify the isotopes.
paul-g
Hello!

If we had available for some two isotopes such as plutonium.
One produced artificially, and the other not as example Pluton-238 and Pluton-242.
If these isotopes would be protected by coating with a layer of absorbing radiation such as lead in what the easiest way we could identify them if we did not know which is which. Assume that they are in the form of spheres with the same radii and weight.

I thought the mass spectrometry, but whether this method would be possible when these isotopes are covered with this coating, which can not be damaged?

Although best if it is a simple method.

___

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really care about, to know what it could be a method. If anyone of you has an idea I would be grateful.

So you don't want to have to dig pieces of them out and send them through a mass spectrometer? Ok, well your examples are highly radioactive, so you would pretty easily be able to stick them in front of a gamma detector and examine their emission spectra, which will surely be different. I don't know what their decay modes are but depending what it is there are alpha and beta detectors also.

For non radioactive samples I think Mossbauer spectroscopy would work, although it is hard to get the right source for the job as you only get a tiny width of gamma spectrum to work with per source, so you have to know exactly what you are looking for. It is not a nice general technique like mass spectroscopy.

Probably there is some less extreme thing you could do too, for some reason I just think of the hard stuff first :).

edit: Actually the Mossbauer thing might not work as I imagine you won't have pure samples of each isotope, in which case a Mossbauer spectrometer tuned to either isotope will see the lines you are looking for, and not the other ones.You would need the lines to be in the same energy range, so you could see their relative heights.

Unfortunately, this coating of lead absorbs the radiation, but in the description of the problem has not been specifically written, only that absorbs radiation and, ironically, it comes even with the simplest method to distinguish between these isotopes.

paul-g said:
Unfortunately, this coating of lead absorbs the radiation, but in the description of the problem has not been specifically written, only that absorbs radiation and, ironically, it comes even with the simplest method to distinguish between these isotopes.

Oh, I didn't read that bit. That must be serious lead coating to block out everything. You wouldn't need very high intensity of gamma's to tell the isotopes apart.

Well anyway, do you have time on your hands and a really sensitive scale? If you wait a really long time their masses will change by different amounts :p. Also the radiation will heat them differently, so you might just be able to measure their temperatures if the difference is big enough.

There might also be some interesting magnetic thing you could do with the nuclear magnetic moments, I'm not sure. Probably there are loads more things you could do too.

Plutonium-238 has a half-life of 88 years and emits alpha particles.

Might rely on this? Lead should nevertheless increase the temperature?

My guess, is look at the activity of the two isotopes. The activity should be related to the temperature change of the container.

1. What is an isotope?

An isotope is a variation of an element that has the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons. This affects the atomic mass of the element, but not its chemical properties.

2. How do you distinguish between two isotopes?

Two isotopes can be distinguished by their atomic mass, which is found on the periodic table. Isotopes of the same element will have different atomic masses due to the difference in the number of neutrons.

3. Can you visually tell the difference between two isotopes?

No, isotopes of the same element have the same number of protons and electrons, making them visually identical. The only way to distinguish between them is through their atomic mass or through scientific analysis.

4. How does the mass spectrometer help in distinguishing isotopes?

The mass spectrometer is a tool used to measure the mass of atoms and molecules. It can be used to identify different isotopes of an element based on their atomic mass. Each isotope will have a unique mass, which can be detected by the mass spectrometer.

5. Are there any other methods for distinguishing isotopes?

Yes, in addition to the mass spectrometer, isotopes can also be distinguished through nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. This method uses the magnetic properties of different isotopes to differentiate between them.