How much KE does the system start with?

• Thread starter Jared944
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the problem involves a system of two boxes connected by a rope and a pulley, with one box hanging off the edge of a table and the other on the table. The system is released and the second box hits the ground with a known mass and height. Using the conservation of energy, the total kinetic energy of the system can be calculated by considering the work done by gravity and the work done by the tension force. The velocities of the two boxes are equal, and the tension force does not do any net work on the system as a whole. The acceleration due to gravity can be considered positive.
Jared944

Homework Statement

Two boxes are set up in a system as shown in the attached picture.

Box 1 - mass = 5 kg
Box 2 - mass = 2 kg

h = 5m

The system is released, and box 2 hits the ground. With a frictionless system, find the total KE before box 2 hits the ground.

Homework Equations

I am fairly sure I have to use the conservation of energy, which in this case would be:

(1/2)*m*vf^2=m*g*h

((1/2)*m*vf^2)-(m*g*h)=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand how to go about this problem with the two box system. I can figure out the boxes force and acceleration, but not what I need.

Thanks,

Attachments

• boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the attachment doesn't seem to be approved yet. What exactly does 'h' represent?

Oh, ok.

Block 1 is sitting on a (frictionless) table attached to block 2 which is hanging off of the table. Both blocks are attached by a rope and a (frictionless) pully.

Before the system is released, block 2 is 5m from the ground (h = 5m)

Thanks for the obervation about the pic...

You were right when you said you have to use energy conservation. Since the block are connected with a rope, and since there is no friction, in what relation are the velocities of the blocks?

The velocities should be the same. However, I've calculated the acceleration and the Tension of the blocks in motion. The acceleration and T of block 2 can be illustrated as T-w2=m2(-a)
And Block 1 can be illustrated as 0+T=m1*a

The tension turnes out to be 14 N and the acceleration is 2.8 m/s^2

Im not sure how to use the data...

Last edited:
Jared944 said:
The velocities should be the same. However, I've calculated the acceleration and the Tension of the blocks in motion. The acceleration and T of block 2 can be illustrated as T-w2=m2(-a)
And Block 1 can be illustrated as 0+T=m1*a

The tension turnes out to be 7.35 N and the acceleration is 2.45 m/s^2

Im not sure how to use the data...

Do you need the acceleration and the tension? Think about how the kinetic energy of the system is defined.

So, KE = mgh + w
KE = 2*-9.8*5+14
KE = -84J? How can I reach a negative KE?

Jared944 said:
So, KE = mgh + w
KE = 2*-9.8*5+14
KE = -84J? How can I reach a negative KE?

What exactly is w?

Do you agree if we say that the total kinetic energy of the system equals 1/2 M v^2 + 1/2 m v^2 ?

of course... I was thinking w was the work done by the tension of the system.

Jared944 said:
of course... I was thinking w was the work done by the tension of the system.
The tension is an internal force and does no net work on the system as a whole. If you were to analyze one mass by itself, then you would need to include the work done by the tension force.

Note also: When calculating changes in gravitational PE using [itex]mg\Delta h[/itex], g is just a positive number (g = 9.8 m/s^2, not -9.8 m/s^2). g is just the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

1. How does the pulley affect the kinetic energy of the system?

The pulley in this system is used to redirect the force applied to one box onto the other box. As a result, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy before and after the pulley is the same. However, the distribution of kinetic energy between the two boxes may change.

2. Does the mass of the boxes affect the kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of the boxes does affect the kinetic energy of the system. The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass, meaning that as the mass of the boxes increases, the kinetic energy of the system also increases.

3. Can the direction of the boxes' motion affect the kinetic energy?

Yes, the direction of the boxes' motion can affect the kinetic energy of the system. If the boxes are moving in opposite directions, the kinetic energy of the system will be lower compared to when they are moving in the same direction. This is because the kinetic energy of the boxes will partially cancel out when they are moving in opposite directions.

4. How does the height of the pulley affect the kinetic energy?

The height of the pulley does not directly affect the kinetic energy of the system. However, the height of the pulley can affect the amount of work needed to lift the boxes and change their potential energy, which can then be converted to kinetic energy as the boxes move down.

5. Is there any friction in this system?

Assuming ideal conditions, there is no friction in this system. This means that the kinetic energy of the system is conserved and there is no loss of energy due to friction. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be some amount of friction which can affect the kinetic energy and decrease the efficiency of the system.