Explain D6h Symmetry of C6O6 2- Anion in "Inorganic Chemistry" Huhney

• Thread starter telethrow
  • Start date
In summary, the anion C6O6 2- has symmetry D6h. This is because the double bond Resonates throughout the whole molecule.
telethrow
I am trying to explain why an anion C6O6 2- would have the symmetry D6h. The problem gives you all of the IR and Raman absorptions and asks to explain why D6h is the proper symmetry for C6O6 2- anion.
Do you use character tables to figure this out? Or do I really have to go through the whole process of finding the irreducible set from the reducible set?
Please Help! I have been doing this for 5 hours!
anything will be greatly appreciated.

For you reference the problem is 3.25 in "Inorganic Chemistry" written by Huhney(sorry if i spelled your name wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I haven't done point group problems in about 5 years, but I will try to help you as best as possible.I assume by C6O6 2- you are talking about dianion of rhodizonic acid

http://www.tokyokasei.co.jp/common/img-structure/R0058.gifI think what is happening is that the enolate ion tautomerizes to the keto form. If you draw the flow of electrons you will see that the double bond would be resonating throughout the whole ring. I'm guessing it would be almost like a benzene ring with 6 O's attached to it.

Now have you ever used a point group symmetry table before like the one below?

http://www.poshusta.chem.wsu.edu/GroupTheory/FlowChart.htm

Just follow the questions and you should get the right symmetry in the end.

Assuming the double bond resonates throughout the whole molecule

Is it linear? No, go to the right

Does it have two or more Cn axes with n>2? No, go down

Does it have a rotation axis Cn? Yes (the one perpendicular in the center), go to the left

Select the biggest n (here it would be n=6 for the perpendicular axis to the center of the molecule), are there n C2 axes perpendicular to C6? Yes, all the axes through each O atom in the plane of the molecule and through each side. Is there a reflection plane perpendicular to C6? Yes. The end result by following the chart gives you D6h symmetry. Like I said, it has been a long time since I have done this stuff, so I am not 100% if I am right.

Last edited by a moderator:
telethrow said:
I am trying to explain why an anion C6O6 2- would have the symmetry D6h. The problem gives you all of the IR and Raman absorptions and asks to explain why D6h is the proper symmetry for C6O6 2- anion.
Do you use character tables to figure this out? Or do I really have to go through the whole process of finding the irreducible set from the reducible set?
Please Help! I have been doing this for 5 hours!
anything will be greatly appreciated.

For you reference the problem is 3.25 in "Inorganic Chemistry" written by Huhney(sorry if i spelled your name wrong)

Huheey. GNW has you covered...

Related to Explain D6h Symmetry of C6O6 2- Anion in "Inorganic Chemistry" Huhney

1. What is D6h symmetry in inorganic chemistry?

D6h symmetry is a type of point group symmetry that describes a molecule or compound with six-fold rotation along a central axis and reflection planes perpendicular to that axis. It is commonly found in molecules with a hexagonal or octahedral shape.

2. How is D6h symmetry determined in a molecule?

D6h symmetry is determined by analyzing the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule. The presence of a central axis of rotation and perpendicular reflection planes indicates the molecule has D6h symmetry. This can also be confirmed through spectroscopic techniques such as infrared and Raman spectroscopy.

3. What does D6h symmetry tell us about the properties of C6O6 2- anion?

D6h symmetry in the C6O6 2- anion indicates that it has a highly symmetric and rigid structure. This means that the anion is less likely to undergo distortions or changes in shape, and therefore has a higher stability. It also suggests that the anion may have interesting optical and electronic properties due to its symmetry.

4. What are some examples of compounds with D6h symmetry in inorganic chemistry?

Some common examples of compounds with D6h symmetry include benzene, graphite, and octahedral transition metal complexes such as [Fe(H2O)6]2+. These compounds often have planar or nearly planar structures, with highly symmetric bonding arrangements.

5. How does D6h symmetry affect the reactivity of C6O6 2- anion?

D6h symmetry can have a significant influence on the reactivity of the C6O6 2- anion. Due to its high symmetry, the anion is less likely to undergo reactions that would distort its structure. This means that it may have limited reactivity compared to other anions with lower symmetry. However, its highly symmetric bonding arrangement may also make it more difficult to break apart, making it a stable and inert species in certain chemical reactions.