Airfoil - NACA 64a416/4416 mod

• Thread starter SpudB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airfoil
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for coordinates data for the airfoil NACA 64A416/4416 mod, which was used on the DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver. The user is wondering why this data is not readily available and if there are alternative airfoils with accessible data for a large scale model of the DHC-2 Beaver. The expert suggests generating the coordinates and provides resources for doing so. The conversation ends with the user expressing gratitude for the help and mentioning their need for a method to code the data for AutoCAD and Rhino.
SpudB
Hello,

I am looking for coordinates data for the airfoil NACA 64A416/4416 mod. This airfoil was used on the DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver. While the airfoil is listed on various manufactures lists no data, or image, of the airfoil is available. Can you tell me whether there is a reason this data is not given, or am I misunderstanding something. And, is there an alternative airfoil which can be used and where the data and an image is available. The information is required for a large scale model of the DHC_2 Beaver up to 140 inch wing span.

Regards,
Spud

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Baluncore,

I visited aeromech and found that by entering either 4416 (4 Series) or 64a416 (6 series) I finally get an image representation of an airfoil, plus its data. The other databases on the web don't produce either for the designations above. I don't know why but its a pity that they dont. All I need now is a method of coding the data for AutoCAD and Rhino so that the airfoil is automatically drawn. Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Spud

Google; 'autocad naca profiles'
There appear to be several available.

What is an airfoil and how does it work?

An airfoil is a curved shape, typically with a rounded leading edge and a more sharply curved trailing edge, that is designed to create lift when it is moved through the air. This lift is generated by the difference in air pressure on the upper and lower surfaces of the airfoil, with the upper surface having lower pressure and the lower surface having higher pressure.

What is the NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil?

The NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil is a specific type of airfoil that was designed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) in the 1930s. It is a modified version of the NACA 64A416 airfoil, which was developed for high-speed aircraft. The mod designation indicates that this airfoil has been modified to improve its performance in specific areas, such as reducing drag or increasing lift.

What are the benefits of using the NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil?

The NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil has several benefits, including improved lift-to-drag ratio, reduced drag, and increased stability at high speeds. These benefits make it a popular choice for high-speed aircraft, such as fighter jets and commercial airliners.

How is the NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil different from other airfoils?

The NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil is different from other airfoils in several ways. It has a thicker camber, which means the curve of the upper surface is more pronounced, and a slightly longer chord length, which is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge. These design features contribute to its improved performance in high-speed flight.

How is the NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil tested and evaluated?

The NACA 64a416/4416 mod airfoil is tested and evaluated using wind tunnels and computer simulations. Wind tunnels allow scientists to study the airfoil's performance in controlled conditions, while computer simulations use complex mathematical models to predict its behavior. Both methods are important for understanding how the airfoil will perform in real-world flight conditions.