Vectors - dot product and cross product?

In summary, the dot product and cross product are two basic vector operations used in mathematics. The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product produces a vector at a right angle to the two vectors being multiplied. The formula being used will determine which operation to use.
onceinalifetim
Vectors -- dot product and cross product?

Hello

may i know when to dot product and cross product?? both look to same to me..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The formula will tell you which to use, so pay close attention.

Basically, the dot product produces a scalar result---it has a magnitude and a + or - sign---but it isn't a vector. The cross product produces an answer which is itself a vector, and it's at right-angles to the plane containing the two vectors you multiplied.

onceinalifetim said:
Hello

may i know when to dot product and cross product?? both look to same to me..

Dot products, cross products, and other basic vector operations are described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar (single value) by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is often used to find the component of one vector in the direction of another vector.

What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. It is often used to find a vector that is perpendicular to a plane defined by two other vectors.

How do you calculate the dot product?

To calculate the dot product of two vectors, you first find the magnitude of each vector. Then, multiply the two magnitudes together and multiply by the cosine of the angle between them. The resulting value is a scalar.

How do you calculate the cross product?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first find the magnitude of each vector. Then, multiply the two magnitudes together and multiply by the sine of the angle between them. The resulting value is a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors.