Has Anyone Designed a Four-Spool Engine?

• Thread starter avinod4all
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the conversation revolves around the different types of spool engines and their advantages and disadvantages. The participants discuss the possibility of using a four spool engine, which is believed to provide more power and efficiency but also has drawbacks such as increased weight and complexity. One person mentions the major advantage of triple spool engines in minimizing engine surges. Overall, there is interest in learning more about the performance and reliability of four spool engines from someone with experience.
avinod4all
Actually, we have three spool, two spool engine and single spool engines, how about the four spool engine? did anyone came across the design of four spool engine? I think adding an extra spool leads to increase in engine weight and becomes more complex in its mechanism.

Physics news on Phys.org
'No' I have never come across a 4 spool engine, and yes it would be more complicated and causes lots of maintenance problems for a four spool engine, I would better suggest to discuss about a three spool or two spool engine in this thread.
Major advantage of triple spool design is it's ability to minimize engine surges thus they are the most efficient engine flying.

Last edited:

I have not personally come across a four spool engine design, but I have heard of them being used in certain aircraft engines. From what I understand, the purpose of a four spool engine is to provide more power and efficiency by dividing the workload among four separate spools instead of just three. However, as you mentioned, this does add weight and complexity to the engine, so it may not be a practical option for all aircraft. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with four spool engines and can provide more insight on their performance and reliability.

1. What is a four-spool engine?

A four-spool engine is a type of aircraft engine that has four separate compressor stages, each driven by its own turbine. This design allows for more efficient and powerful operation compared to traditional single or dual-spool engines.

2. Who first designed a four-spool engine?

The first four-spool engine was designed by Rolls-Royce in the 1960s for the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar aircraft. It was called the RB211 engine and was later used in other aircraft models as well.

3. What are the advantages of a four-spool engine?

A four-spool engine offers several advantages, including higher thrust and efficiency, better control of engine parameters, and lower fuel consumption. It also allows for more flexible and reliable operation, as each spool can be independently controlled.

4. Are four-spool engines commonly used in aircraft?

No, four-spool engines are not as commonly used as other types of engines. They are typically only found in large commercial aircraft and military jets due to their complexity and cost.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a four-spool engine?

One potential drawback of a four-spool engine is its weight and size, which can affect the overall weight and balance of an aircraft. They also require more maintenance and can be more expensive to manufacture compared to other engine designs.