Find Term with Power in Binomial Expansion: x^81y^30

In summary, there does not exist a term with the specified power in the expansion of the given binomial power as every y term is raised to an even power. This can also be seen by expanding the binomial and realizing that the first few terms do not include a y^{15} term.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the term with the specified power in the expansion of the given binomial power.
[tex]
\left( {x^3 + y^2 } \right)^{42} ,\,\,\,\,\,y^{15}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]{\rm{term}} = \frac{{n!}}{{r!\left( {n - r} \right)!}}x^{n - r} y^r [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{\rm{term}} = \frac{{42!}}{{15!\left( {42 - 15} \right)!}}x^{3 \cdot \left( {42 - 15} \right)} y^{2 \cdot 15} \\
\\
{\rm{term}} = \frac{{42!}}{{15!\left( {27} \right)!}}x^{81} y^{30} \\
{\rm{term}} = {\rm{98672427616}}\,x^{81} y^{30} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

The back of the book says no such term exists. Why? Is it because x has an exponent that is higher than n? x^3 doesn't have a higher exponent, and I thought that's all that mattered.

Also, is there a way of simplifying that factorial so I don't have to rely completely on the calculator to solve? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think a [itex]y^{15}[/itex] term does not exist because every [itex]y[/itex] term is raised to an even power? I've never used the formula before to calculate the term with the given binomial power so I can't comment on that part if you did it correctly.

For this factorial there isn't much else you can do except rewrite [itex]\displaystyle\frac{42!}{15! \cdot 27!}[/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle\frac{(42 \cdot 41 \cdot \cdot \cdot 28)27!}{15! \cdot 27!} = \frac{(42 \cdot 41 \cdot \cdot \cdot 28)}{15!}[/itex] and then cancel out like terms to get rid of the 15!.

Thanks! The longer I stared at this, I started to realize that there's nothing I can multiply by 2 that will give me 15. So I imagine that "does not exist" is also the answer to[tex]\left( {x^3 + y^2 } \right)^{42} ,\,\,\,\,\,y^{15}[/tex]
This is an even question, so no back of book answer.

Well, no number in the inters to multiply 2 by to get 15! :P

I think you recopied the problem from the first post, but did it involve another instance where you can't multiply an integer to get the specified power?

oops, my copy and paste skills need improving!
[tex]\left( {x^3 + y^2 } \right)^{107} ,\,\,\,\,y^{77} [/tex]

Yeah, same type of case.

Going back to the first example, if, rather than use the formula, I decide to actually waste a few sheets of paper expanding this this thing, my first few terms will be
[tex]
x^{3\left( {42} \right)} y^{2\left( 0 \right)} + x^{3\left( {41} \right)} y^{2\left( 1 \right)} + x^{3\left( {40} \right)} y^{2\left( 2 \right)} + x^{3\left( {39} \right)} y^{2\left( 3 \right)} + ...
[/tex]
which is pretty much all I need to tell me that y^15 will never happen.

Thanks for the late night help!

Don't forget to use pascal's triangle to put the correct coefficients in front of the terms! But, yep, that's why there is no term!

FAQ: Find Term with Power in Binomial Expansion: x^81y^30

1. What is the formula for finding the term with a specific power in a binomial expansion?

The formula is (a+b)^n = nCrx^(n-r)y^r, where n is the power of the binomial, r is the term number, and x and y are the coefficients of the binomial.

2. How do you find the term with a power of x^81y^30 in a binomial expansion?

To find the term with a power of x^81y^30, plug in the values of n=111, r=81, x=1, and y=1 into the formula (a+b)^n = nCrx^(n-r)y^r. This will give you the term (111C81)(1)^(111-81)(1)^81 = 111C81 = 41,840,384,286,592,742,085,772.

3. Can you use the binomial theorem to find the term with a power of x^81y^30?

Yes, the binomial theorem can be used to find any term in a binomial expansion. It is a general formula that can be used to calculate the coefficients of each term.

4. How do you determine the coefficient of the term with a power of x^81y^30 in a binomial expansion?

The coefficient can be found by using the formula (nCr), where n is the power of the binomial and r is the term number. In this case, the coefficient of the term with a power of x^81y^30 is 111C81 = 41,840,384,286,592,742,085,772.

5. Can you use the binomial theorem to find the coefficient of the term with a power of x^81y^30?

Yes, the binomial theorem can be used to find the coefficient of any term in a binomial expansion. It is a general formula that can be used to calculate the coefficients of each term.

Back