Efficiently Calculate Binomial Expansion Coefficients | Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of a polynomial and the relationship between the coefficients of its terms. By substituting a value for x, a relation between the coefficients of the original polynomial and the new polynomial is found. The conversation concludes with a discussion on finding the ratio of the coefficients of specific terms in the polynomial.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Consider the expansion (ax2 + bx + c)n = ∑(r=0 to r=2n) Ar xr------------------(1) , where Ar is real ∀ 0 ≤ r ≤ 2n
Replacing x by c/(ax) and using the property ∑(r=0 to r=2n) Tr = ∑(r=0 to r=2n) T2n-r ,
we get (ax2 + bx + c)n = ∑(r=0 to r=2n) Br xr ----------------------(2).
Hence we get a relation between Ar and Br by comparing like power of xr
0 ≤ r ≤ 2n from both equations.

Let (2x2 + 3x + 4)10 = ∑(r=0 to r=2n) Ar xr then the value of
A6 /A14 is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing what the paragraph says--
I substituted (2/x) for x (c/ax = 2/x).
I got (8/x^2 + 6/x + 4)10
But I don't want a relation between A and B
I want the ratio of the coefficients of the terms with x^6 and x^14.
I tried doing it using binomial expansion by making cases for when the powers of (4+3x) and (2x^2) add up to 6 and 14.
For 6, I got 4 such cases. For 14, I got 8. However, solving all the Cs and stuff is very time consuming and doesn't seem the right way to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
The important thing to recognize is that your ##B_r## should be equal to your ##A_r## since they are expanding the same polynomial.
By introducing the substitution, you can find a way to relate ##B_{2n-r}## to ##A_r## which works for r=6.

Keep it in the sum notation to see the relationships.
##\sum_{r=0}^{2n} A_r x^r ##
##\sum_{r=0}^{2n} B_r \left(\frac{c}{ax}\right)^r=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} B_r \left(\frac{c}{ax}\right)^{2n-r}##
Do some algebra to equate the powers of r, and see what comes out.

Related to Efficiently Calculate Binomial Expansion Coefficients | Homework Equations

1. How do you efficiently calculate binomial expansion coefficients?

The most efficient way to calculate binomial expansion coefficients is by using Pascal's triangle. Each row in the triangle represents the coefficients for a specific power of the binomial. By starting with the first row (1 1), you can easily calculate the coefficients for higher powers by adding the adjacent numbers in the row above. This method eliminates the need for repetitive calculations and is much faster than using the binomial theorem.

2. What is the binomial theorem and how is it used to calculate coefficients?

The binomial theorem is a formula that allows you to expand a binomial expression raised to a power. It is written as (a + b)^n = ∑[n,k=0] (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where (n choose k) represents the binomial coefficient. This formula can be used to calculate the coefficients for any power of the binomial, but it is not as efficient as using Pascal's triangle.

3. Can binomial expansion coefficients be negative?

Yes, binomial expansion coefficients can be negative. This typically occurs when the power of the binomial is negative or when the binomial is raised to a fractional power. These negative coefficients can be calculated using the binomial theorem, but they may be more difficult to interpret in the context of the problem.

4. How do you use binomial expansion coefficients in real-world applications?

Binomial expansion coefficients are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of certain events occurring. They can also be used in finance to calculate the expected value of an investment over time. In physics, binomial expansion coefficients are used in both classical and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and systems.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating binomial expansion coefficients?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating binomial expansion coefficients, such as using the combination formula or using the properties of Pascal's triangle. However, these methods may not be as efficient as using Pascal's triangle or the binomial theorem. It is important to choose the method that is most appropriate for the specific problem at hand.