The rate of thermal energy transfer

In summary: Just one thing to note is that the specific enthalpy at the superheater inlet is not equal to the specific enthalpy at the boiler outlet. The superheater adds additional thermal energy to the already heated water from the boiler. So the specific enthalpy at the superheater inlet will be higher than at the boiler outlet. Other than that, your procedure is correct.
Marshiewoo
Task:

A steady flow boiler takes in feed water at 1.5kg/s, at a temperature of 30 °C. The water is heated and turned into wet steam. This leaves at 1.5kg/s, with a pressure of 10 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.97 to the superheater, where it receives heat at a constant pressure and emerges at a temperature of 400 °C.

Determine, using steam tables:
A. the rate of thermal energy transfer in the boilet
B. the rate of thermal energy transfer in the superheater

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have managed to find out the efficiency of the turbine, which is after the superheater.

I am not really looking for an answer, although that would be fantastic. I would mainly like somebody to explain the difference between what I have worked out (below) and what the question above is asking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My attempt at a different task which is slightly related:

Steam enters the turbine below from the superheater at a pressure of 20 bar and temperature 300 °C and exhaustss at a pressure of 1 bar and dryness fraction 0.95. The steam consumption rate is 1.8 tonnes per hour and the shaft output power is 0.2 MW.

Determine the turbine efficiency.

[itex]\hat{m}[/itex] = 0.5 kg/s
[itex]T\omega[/itex] = 0.2[itex]x10^6[/itex]
Temperature in = 300 °C
Pressure in = 20 bar
Pressure out = 1 bar
Dryness fraction out = 0.95

h1)
h1 = [itex]hg[/itex] @ 20 bar & 300 °C
= 3025000

h2)
h2 = [itex]hf + xhfg[/itex] @ 1 bar
= 417 + (0.95)(2258)
= 2563000

h1 - h2 = 463000

Turbine Efficiency)
Turbine Efficiency = [itex]\frac{T\omega}{(h1-h2)\hat{m}}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{0.2x10^6}{(463000)(0.5}[/itex]
= 0.86393
= 86.4%

Thank you and my apologies for the terrible use of the fantastic itex system.

Physics news on Phys.org
The water didn't turn itself into steam before it reached the turbine.
A boiler was used to first heat the feed water and turn it into slightly wet saturated steam. What was the rate of thermal energy transfer required to do this?
Second, the saturated steam was then superheated. What was the rate of thermal energy transfer required for this step? Use steam tables to answer both questions.

I don't know how the question could be any more clear than as stated.

So I just use the steam tables? :s

Thanks for the reply.

The whole thermodynamics confuses me, sorry.

I've been digging into thermodynmics in preparation for teaching a new course. I came across this thread in my quest. I'd like to try and round things off with what I hope is a correct procedure (I know this is far too late for the OP but hopefully it'll help out anyone with the same question).

(1) ∆Ḣ = ṁ (ho - hi)
I am using ∆Ḣto represent the rate of thermal energy transfer.
For saturated water: h = hf
(2) For wet steam: h = hf + x hfg
Where x is the dryness fraction and h is the specific enthalpy

Determine specific enthalpy values at inlet and outlet from steam tables. For part A, inlet value, look at the steam table sorted by temperature, look up hf for 30ºC. For part A, outlet values, look at steam table sorted by pressure. Look up hf and hfg for 10 bar. Calculate the value of h using equation (2) above.
Calculate value of ∆Ḣusing equation (1) above.
I hope that procedure makes sense.

For part B. The boiler outlet value is equal to the superheater inlet value. So just need to look up the outlet value using the super heated steam tables (for pressure of 10 bar and temperature of 400ºC). Solve using equation (1).

Sure, looks good.

Likes Daniel Wilson

Related to The rate of thermal energy transfer

1. What is thermal energy transfer?

Thermal energy transfer is the movement of heat from one object to another. It occurs when there is a difference in temperature between two objects or systems, causing heat to flow from the warmer object to the cooler object until they reach thermal equilibrium.

2. How is the rate of thermal energy transfer measured?

The rate of thermal energy transfer is typically measured in units of watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). It can be calculated using the equation Q/t, where Q is the amount of heat transferred and t is the time it takes for the transfer to occur.

3. What factors affect the rate of thermal energy transfer?

The rate of thermal energy transfer is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of contact between the objects, and the distance between the objects.

4. How does thermal energy transfer occur?

Thermal energy transfer can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between objects, while convection is the movement of heated particles within a fluid. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How does the rate of thermal energy transfer impact everyday life?

The rate of thermal energy transfer plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It determines how quickly our food cooks, how fast our homes heat up or cool down, and how effectively our devices dissipate heat. Understanding and controlling the rate of thermal energy transfer is essential for energy efficiency and comfort in many aspects of our lives.