How to Find Friction Coefficient Without Mass?

• Thread starter smileyjen523
  • Start date
In summary: There is a force of 9.8 m/s2 acting on the box when it is sliding down the ramp. There is also a force of 0.81 m/s acting on the box when it's at the top of the ramp. The net force on the box is -9.8 m/s.
smileyjen523
finding friction coefficient without a mass??

A box slides down a 37.1o ramp with an acceleration of 1.29m/s2. (acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2) Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and ramp.

I just have no idea where to start with this since it doesn't give mass, so i can't draw that triangle to figure out weight, parallel force, or perpendicular force.

and another question..
1. A car is parked near a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 25.7o with the horizontal. The negligent driver leaves the car on neutral, and the emergency brakes are defective.The car rolls from rest down the incline and has a velocity 20m/s when it reaches teh edge of the cliff. The cliff is 21.2 meters above the ocean. (acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2) How far is the car from the base of the cliff when the car hits the ocean?

I attempted to do this and somehow got to a quadratic equation adn then i used the quadratic formula and redid it about five times and still got it wrong. we haven't really finished learning this in class, so I'm not sure of how to do it.

it'd be great if someone felt like helping me...thanks a bunch :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram of the box sliding down the ramp.

Label the box with the forces acring on it.

What is the net force on the box in its direction of motion ?

Use Newton's 2nd law.

You don't need to know the value of the mass for this problem.

smileyjen523 said:

and another question..
1. A car is parked near a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 25.7o with the horizontal. The negligent driver leaves the car on neutral, and the emergency brakes are defective.The car rolls from rest down the incline and has a velocity 20m/s when it reaches teh edge of the cliff. The cliff is 21.2 meters above the ocean. (acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2) How far is the car from the base of the cliff when the car hits the ocean?

...:
You are given the initial velocity in both size and direction. That is, 20 m/s at an angle of 25.7° below the horizontal.
Split this velocity into vertical and horizontal components (velocities).

Vertical movement
==============
Set up an eqn of motion to find out how long it takes to fall from 21.2 m high to the gound, when it's initial velocity downwards is -- whatever you work it out as.

Horizontal movement
================
Now that you know how long it takes to reach the ground, find out how far it has traveled horizontally using this time and the horizontal component of its initial velocity.

i still don't get that first one

how do you find out what the net force is??

As Fermat said right in the beginning: Draw a diagram. Do this before you do anything else.

Take the direction along the ramp as x (and perpendicuar to that: y). Now divide the forces into x and y components.

1. What are the two questions that need help with?

The two questions that need help with are not specified, as this is a general prompt for assistance. It could refer to any two questions related to a particular topic or subject.

2. How can I find answers to my two questions?

There are several ways to find answers to your two questions. You can research online, consult with experts or professionals in the field, read books or articles related to the topic, or conduct experiments or observations.

3. Can you provide any resources or references for my two questions?

I am not sure what your two questions are, so I cannot provide specific resources or references. However, depending on the topic, there are many reliable sources such as academic journals, government websites, or reputable news outlets that can provide information and references.

4. How long will it take to find answers to my two questions?

The time it takes to find answers to your two questions depends on the complexity of the questions and the availability of resources. It could take a few minutes, hours, or even days to find satisfactory answers.

5. Can you help me formulate my two questions?

I am a computer program and cannot assist in formulating questions. However, a good way to formulate questions is to be clear, specific, and concise. Also, make sure your questions are relevant to your topic and can be answered with available resources.