HELP how to plug this into the calculator sigma notation?

In summary, to find the sum of the function f(x) for x=a to x=b, you can use the sum(seq(f(x),x,a,b,1)) function on a TI calculator. This can be found by pressing catalog or 2nd[math] and searching for the [sum(] and [seq(] operators. You can also expand the summation into its four terms and evaluate them individually without a calculator by using the values of cos(\pi)=-1, cos(\pi/2)=0, cos(\pi/3)=1/2, and cos(\pi/4)=\sqrt{2}/2.
femmed0ll
how would i plug this into the calculator? to find the sum?
step by step process? thankss!

∑ 2 cos (π/k)
k = 1

i tried this site
http://mathbits.com/mathbits/tisection/Algebra2/summation.htm
and i got a different answer...so i just need help with the set up on a T.I calc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to? This is a summation with four terms. Just expand the summation into its four terms.

[tex]\sum_{k= 1}^4 2 cos\left(\frac{\pi}{k}\right)= 2 cos\left(\frac{\pi}{1}\right)+ 2 cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+ 2 cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)+ 2 cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)[/tex]

Since [itex]cos(\pi)= -1[/itex], [itex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/itex], [itex]cos(\pi/3)= 1/2[/itex], and [itex]cos(\pi/4)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex], you shouldn't need to use a calculator.

for the function f(x) for x=a to x=b the screen should read

sum(seq(f(x),x,a,b,1)

you should be able to catalog or 2nd\(\displaystyle to find the [sum(] and [seq(] operators

hope this helps\)

1. How do I enter sigma notation into a calculator?

To enter sigma notation into a calculator, you will need to use the "sum" or "sigma" function. This is usually denoted by the symbol Σ. You will also need to provide the starting and ending values for the variable, as well as the expression to be evaluated for each value.

2. Can I use a calculator to simplify sigma notation?

Yes, calculators can be used to simplify sigma notation. You will need to use the "sum" or "sigma" function and enter the appropriate values for the starting and ending points of the variable. The calculator will then evaluate the expression and provide a simplified result.

3. What is the purpose of using sigma notation in calculations?

Sigma notation is a shorthand way of representing a series of numbers or terms. It allows for easier and more concise representation of mathematical expressions, especially those involving large numbers of terms. Using sigma notation can also help in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems.

4. How do I know if I have entered sigma notation correctly into the calculator?

After entering the sigma notation into the calculator, you should double-check that all the values and expressions are entered correctly. You can also use the calculator to evaluate the expression with a few values to ensure that the result is what you expect. If the result matches your expectations, then you have entered the sigma notation correctly.

5. Can I use a calculator to convert sigma notation into a series?

Yes, calculators can be used to convert sigma notation into a series. You will need to use the "sum" or "sigma" function and enter the appropriate values for the starting and ending points of the variable. The calculator will then show the expanded series, which you can use to further simplify or solve the problem.