Calculating area using sigma notation

In summary, the student is trying to find the area under the graph of a function. He calculates most of the values and has 16+frac 8 3+Sigma(frac 2 n sqrt 9+frac {4i} n)
Zack K

Homework Statement

The question involves using sigma notation of Riemann sums to find the area under the graph of ##x^2+\sqrt {1+2x}##. I managed to calculate most of the values and I have ##16+\frac 8 3 + \Sigma {\frac 2 n \sqrt {9 + \frac {4i} n}}##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\Sigma i= \frac {n(n+1)} 2##
##\Sigma i^2= \frac {n(n+1)(2n+1)} 6##

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can think of doing to get rid of the root is to square the whole expression, since the area is equal to the expression and I will get area2. Then I can just square root my final answer to get the actual area. But I'm not sure if that will work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zack K said:
the area under the graph
Wouldn't that area be infinity ? Please post a complete problem statement

BvU said:
Wouldn't that area be infinity ? Please post a complete problem statement
Sorry my bad. It's between the interval [4, 6]. and n→infinity

First term alone should already yield around 50. Whence the 16 ? the 8/3 ?
Please post your steps in more detail.

Zack K said:
square the whole expression, since the area is equal to the expression and I will get area2
O, is that so ? So the area of ##\sin^2 x## is the area of ##\sin x## squared ?

Last edited:
Zack K said:

Homework Statement

The question involves using sigma notation of Riemann sums to find the area under the graph of ##x^2+\sqrt {1+2x}##. I managed to calculate most of the values and I have ##16+\frac 8 3 + \Sigma {\frac 2 n \sqrt {9 + \frac {4i} n}}##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\Sigma i= \frac {n(n+1)} 2##
##\Sigma i^2= \frac {n(n+1)(2n+1)} 6##

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can think of doing to get rid of the root is to square the whole expression, since the area is equal to the expression and I will get area2. Then I can just square root my final answer to get the actual area. But I'm not sure if that will work.

No: it won't work. We have ##(\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b})^2 \neq (a + b)##, so it does not even work for just two terms.

Ray Vickson said:
No: it won't work. We have ##(\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b})^2 \neq (a + b)##, so it does not even work for just two terms.
So what's recommended that I do? I know that I have to isolate i, but I can't seem to figure it out.

BvU said:
Please post your steps in more detail

Zack K said:
So what's recommended that I do? I know that I have to isolate i, but I can't seem to figure it out.
If you are given a value of ##n##, such as ##n = 30##, you can compute the 30-term sum numerically. If you use something like a spreadsheet, or Matlab, or Maple, or Mathematica, etc., it should not be hard. Even summing ##n = 1000## or more such terms should be do-able in a second or two, but doing it manually might take a few hours.

Paradoxically, in this case doing the ##n = \infty## sum (= the integral) is quite easy, but the finite sums are much harder.

You could set up a Riemann sum using horizontal rectangles, i.e., integrate with respect to y, to avoid the square root.

1. How do you represent the formula for calculating area using sigma notation?

The formula for calculating area using sigma notation is A = ∑(f(x)Δx), where A represents the total area, f(x) represents the function used to calculate the area at each interval, and Δx represents the width of each interval.

2. What is the purpose of using sigma notation to calculate area?

Sigma notation allows for a more concise and organized representation of the formula for calculating area. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the total area when dealing with a large number of intervals.

3. How do you determine the value of f(x) in the formula for calculating area using sigma notation?

The value of f(x) is determined by the function used to calculate the area at each interval. For example, if the area is being calculated using the trapezoidal rule, f(x) would be equal to (a + b)/2, where a and b represent the two endpoints of the interval.

4. Can sigma notation be used to calculate the area of irregular shapes?

Yes, sigma notation can be used to calculate the area of irregular shapes. However, the function used to calculate the area at each interval may be more complex and may require breaking the shape into smaller, more manageable sections.

5. How do you know if your sigma notation calculation for area is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a sufficient number of intervals and to check for any errors in the calculation. Additionally, comparing the calculated area to the known area of the shape can help determine accuracy.