Intensity Increase for 30dB & 22dB: Log Homework Solved

In summary, a hearing aid increases the sound intensity level, allowing a person to hear better. To calculate the increase in sound intensity, use the formula I = I_0 \cdot 10^{\frac{\beta}{10}}, where \beta is the decibel increase and I_0 is the initial sound intensity.
carmenn

Homework Statement

A hearing aid increases the sound intensity level, thereby allowing a person to hear better. For the following decibel increases, by how much does the intensity of sound increase?

a)30dB
b) 22dB

Homework Equations

[tex]\beta=10log (I/Io)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substitute 30 in for the beta, and 1x10^-12 for the Io, but i can't seem to solve for the correct answer. Can anyone lend a hand?

I really have trouble with bringng to log to the other side. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\beta}{10} = \log_{10} (I/I_0)[/tex]

By the definition of the logarithm, [tex]I/I_0 = 10^{\frac{\beta}{10}}[/tex]

So [tex]I = I_0 \cdot 10^{\frac{\beta}{10}}[/tex]

I would recommend using a scientific calculator to solve this problem. The equation you have provided is correct, but you need to use the inverse function of logarithm, which is 10^x, to solve for the intensity (I). The correct steps for solving this problem are:

1. Rearrange the equation to solve for I: I = 10^(β/10) * Io
2. Substitute the given values for β and Io: I = 10^(30/10) * 1x10^-12 and I = 10^(22/10) * 1x10^-12
3. Use a calculator to solve for I: I = 1x10^-6 and I = 1x10^-8
4. Convert the answers to scientific notation: I = 1μW and I = 100pW

Therefore, the intensity of sound increases by 1μW for a 30dB increase and by 100pW for a 22dB increase.

1. What does "intensity increase" mean in the context of 30dB and 22dB?

Intensity increase refers to the amplification of sound or signal by 30 decibels (dB) or 22dB. It is a measure of how much the amplitude of a sound or signal has been increased.

2. How is intensity increase related to the log scale?

Intensity increase is directly related to the log scale, as the log function is used to measure and express changes in intensity. The log scale is a way to represent large changes in intensity in a more manageable and easily comparable way.

3. Why is 30dB and 22dB often used in scientific measurements?

30dB and 22dB are often used in scientific measurements because they represent a significant increase in intensity that is easily measurable and comparable. They are also commonly used in acoustics and electronics to express changes in sound or signal levels.

4. How does a 30dB increase compare to a 22dB increase?

A 30dB increase is significantly larger than a 22dB increase. In fact, a 30dB increase is 8 times greater than a 22dB increase. This is because the decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning each 10dB increase represents a 10-fold increase in intensity.

5. Can you give an example of a 30dB and 22dB increase in real-world situations?

A 30dB increase can be seen when a whisper is amplified to the level of a normal conversation, while a 22dB increase can be seen when a normal conversation is amplified to the level of a loud concert. In electronics, a 30dB increase in signal strength can be seen when a signal is amplified from 1 milliwatt to 1 watt, while a 22dB increase would be seen when the signal is amplified from 1 milliwatt to 100 milliwatts.