Second derivative test when Hessian is Positive Semi-Definite

In summary, the second derivative test is inconclusive in the case when the Hessian is positive semidefinite, but it is possible to determine whether the function at a given point is a local maximum or minimum.
logarithmic
Can someone tell me what this actually is.

So, in the case when the Hessian is positive (or negative) semidefinite, the second derivative test is inconclusive.

However, I think I've read that even in the case where the Hessian is positive semidefinite at a stationary point x, we can still conclude that the function at x is not a local maximum. Is that correct?

Is that equivalent to the function at x being either a local minimum or a saddle point, since there are only 3 possibilities for x: local max, local min, or saddle (or are there more possibilties)?

If someone has some online pdf notes with definitions and proof of the second derivative test in generality, that would be good too. I also can't seem to find an agreed on definition of a saddle point, which adds to the confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, at any "critical point" we must have a maximum, minimum, or saddle point. The fact that the Hessian is not positive or negative means we cannot use the 'second derivative' test (local max if det(H)> 0 and the [itex]\partial^2 z/\partial x^2< 0[/itex], local min if det(H)> 0 and [itex]\partial^2 z/\partial x^2< 0[/itex] and a saddle point if det(H)< 0)but it will be one of those, none the less. That simply means that we cannot use that particular test to determine which.

For example, the functions [itex]z= x^4+ y^4[/itex], [itex]z= -x^4- y^4[/itex] and [itex]z= x^3+ y^3[/itex] have first derivatives equal to 0 only at (0, 0) so that is the only critical point. The Hessian of all three functions is the 0 matrix at (0, 0) but it is obvious that (0, 0) is a minimum for the first function, a maximum for the second, and a saddle point for the third.

I see, thanks for the reply. Although I'd like to know your definition for a saddle point. Is it a critical point that is neither a local min, nor a local max?

This is an old post... but whatever.

My question is: If we are trying to do unconstrained optimization and using Newton's method, can we adjust the hessian matrix by shifting it (adding a diagonal matrix to it) to push its eigenvales to be sufficiently negative (or positive) to force it towards a maximum (or minimum) while avoiding the saddle points; I would like to do this shift before the Newton step.
many thanks

What is the purpose of the Second Derivative Test?

The Second Derivative Test is used to determine the nature of critical points in a multivariable function. It helps determine whether a critical point is a local maximum, local minimum, or saddle point.

What is the Hessian Matrix?

The Hessian Matrix is a square matrix that contains the second-order partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used in the Second Derivative Test to determine the nature of critical points.

What does it mean for the Hessian to be Positive Semi-Definite?

If the Hessian Matrix has all positive eigenvalues, it is called Positive Semi-Definite. This means that the function has a minimum value at the critical point.

How do you use the Second Derivative Test when the Hessian is Positive Semi-Definite?

If the Hessian is Positive Semi-Definite, the Second Derivative Test states that the critical point is a local minimum. This can be confirmed by evaluating the second partial derivatives at the critical point and checking if they are all positive.

What happens if the Hessian is not Positive Semi-Definite?

If the Hessian is not Positive Semi-Definite, the Second Derivative Test cannot determine the nature of the critical point. Additional tests, such as the Second Derivative Test for Negative Definiteness, may need to be performed to determine the nature of the critical point.