Second derivative test and hessian matrix

In summary: Oh I dunno... The wonderful symmetry that Hess found to make his matrix...? The universal application of isomorphism found in his matrix... Stuff like that?
clairaut
How does one derive the second derivative test for three variables?

It's clear that

D(a,b) = fxx * fyy - (fxy)^2

AND

fxx(a,b)

Tells us almost all we need to know about local maxima and local minima for a function of 2 variables x and y, but how do I make sense of the second directional derivative of a function of 3 variables x,y,z to form the simple conclusions seen above?

I can easily take the second directional derivative of f(x,y) to derive the above.

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is this: with a real valued function of two variables, f(x,y), the derivative at a point is, in a strict sense, the linear function that maps the pair (x,y) to a real number that "best approximates" f around that point. That can be represented as a dot product, [itex](f_x, f_y)\cdot (x, y)[/itex], and so we can represent the derivative as the gradient vector [itex](f_x, f_y)[/itex].

So the first derivative function maps (x, y) to the vector [itex](f_x , f_y) and its derivative, the second derivative of f, can best be represented as a 2 by 2 matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, two points from Linear Algebra:
1) Since that is a symmetric matrix, it has two independent eigenvectors and so can be diagonalized. That is, there exist some coordinate system, say x' and y', such that the second derivative matrix can be written
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x'^2} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y'^2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

2) The determinant is invariant.

If f(x,y) at a point, [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] can be approximated by [itex](\partial^2f/\partial x'^2)(x'- x_0)^2+ (\partial^2f/\partial y'^2)(y'- y_0)^2+ f(x_0, y_0)[/itex] in that x', y
coordinate system. If the point is a minimum, both those partial derivatives are positive, if it is a maximum, both negative, if a saddle point, one positive and one negative. That is, if either a maximum or minimum, the determinant, [itex]\left(\partial^2 f/\partial x'^2\right)\left(\partial^2 f/\partial y'^2\right)[/itex] is positive, if a saddle point, negative. And because the determinant is "invariant", that is the [itex]f_{xx}f_{yy}- (f_{xy})^2[/itex] you refer to.

Now, here is the problem- and the reason why textbooks do not say what do to in three dimensions. If you go to three variables, x, y, and z, you can still find coordinates, x', y', z', such that the second derivative matrix is diagonal:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x'^2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y'^2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial z'^2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

But knowing the determinant of that does NOT tell you anything about the individual signs. If the determinant is positive, it might happen that all three of the signs are positive (a minimum) or that two are negative and the third positive (a saddle point). If the determinant is negative, it might be the case that all three are negative (a maximum) or that two are positive and the third negative (a saddle point). The only thing you really can do is find the individual eigenvalues of the second derivative matrix.

How would you find the critical points of a function with three variables? Let's assume that there are no constraints.

That link brings up 2 variable fxns.

clairaut said:
That link brings up 2 variable fxns.

No, it doesn't.

Never mind. I already know about the determinant from hessian matrix. Some so called helpers are very useless.

Does it hurt you to have a discussion?

clairaut said:
Does it hurt you to have a discussion?

The information you asked in your previous posts in right there in the link I posted. It has the second derivative test for functions of multiple variables. So what exactly is it that you want to discuss?

Oh I dunno... The wonderful symmetry that Hess found to make his matrix...? The universal application of isomorphism found in his matrix... Stuff like that

clairaut said:
Oh I dunno... The wonderful symmetry that Hess found to make his matrix...? The universal application of isomorphism found in his matrix... Stuff like that

You asked about a general test for functions of three variables, I posted it. How am I supposed to know you wanted to talk about the symmetry of the matrix and other stuff? If you have a specific question then please post it. I'm not psychic, so I really don't know what kind of answers you are looking for.

So please, what are the questions you want answers to?

OK, so since you have no specific questions. I am locking this thread.

1. What is the second derivative test?

The second derivative test is a mathematical tool used to determine the nature of a critical point (maximum, minimum, or saddle point) in a function by examining the concavity of its graph. It involves taking the second derivative of the function and evaluating it at the critical point.

2. How is the second derivative test used to find local extrema?

The second derivative test states that if the second derivative of a function at a critical point is positive, then the function has a local minimum at that point. If the second derivative is negative, then the function has a local maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

3. What is the Hessian matrix?

The Hessian matrix is a square matrix of second-order partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used in the second derivative test to determine the nature of a critical point. The Hessian matrix can also be used to find the curvature of a function's graph at a given point.

4. How is the Hessian matrix used in the second derivative test?

The Hessian matrix is used in the second derivative test by calculating its determinant at the critical point. If the determinant is positive, then the point is a local minimum; if it is negative, then the point is a local maximum; and if it is zero, then the test is inconclusive.

5. Can the second derivative test and Hessian matrix be used for functions with more than 2 variables?

Yes, the second derivative test and Hessian matrix can be extended to functions with multiple variables. In this case, the Hessian matrix becomes a square matrix of second-order partial derivatives with respect to all the variables, and the second derivative test is applied to each critical point to determine its nature.